Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem with selecting text and export to pdf
I have just upgraded to 2.10.14 version and weird thing happen :/ I have problems with selecting text in previously created text layers. When i try to modify such text gimp changes font size so when I start type additional text whole text changes size. When I export to pdf some texts are different size than on my project, some texts are to large and they do not fit and brake to more lines. Another weird thing is that jpg is exporting correctly. What the heck is going on?
Quote: have just upgraded to 2.10.14 version and weird thing happen :/ I have problems with selecting text in previously created text layers When i try to modify such text gimp changes font size so when I start type additional text whole text changes size.

This happens when the font used in the Gimp xcf file is no longer available. Might have been removed or the file was created on a different computer. There is also another cause, Gimp 2.10 no longer recognises the old Type 1 fonts, ttf and otf are OK. Try and edit the text and it reverts to the system default, usually Sans.

Quote:When I export to pdf some texts are different size than on my project, some texts are to large and they do not fit and brake to more lines. Another weird thing is that jpg is exporting correctly.

The Gimp 2.10 PDF export is a bit of a mess. The developers have 'improved' it by keeping text as text, but not a full implementation where the font metrics are also embedded in the file. Open in your computer which has the font files available OK, some other computer without the font files and the text reverts to system default, usually Sans.

The solution is to convert the text layers to bitmap, (either lose the text property or flatten the image) before exporting to PDF. That is also the reason the jpg is correct.
This project was created by me on my computer. All fonts are installed. Now I've expirenced that Gimp puts to PDF hidden layers although I've checkek "omit hidden layers" option. This version of Gimp is trash :/
(09-07-2020, 10:01 PM)Partyzant Wrote: This project was created by me on my computer. All fonts are installed. Now I've expirenced that Gimp puts to PDF hidden layers although I've checkek "omit hidden layers" option. This version of Gimp is trash :/

Only in your estimation and because pdf export does not work the way you want it.  I do not make things up just to reply to forum users.

Edit. I deleted a lot, my confusing descriptions/

Edit: I do not think I am explaining very well. This a 2 minute video that might help. https://youtu.be/Az-H212FkFg Even if my accent is difficult, try and follow the logic.

I think your best option is, export to a png, use the png to create the PDF

If you want a better PDF then use Inkscape version 1  This correctly embeds all font data in the PDF. Even then, publishers will say convert the text to a vector first. Up to you.