Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problems an transferring image into a template for a book cover
Hi Guys
I'm desperate for some help for what should be a simple operation. I'm creating a cover for a book with Amazon KDP. I've done this before with GIMP 2.8, but now have 2.10. When I try to insert the image I want into the book cover template it appears very small and I can't change it to fit the template. I've tried everything. I open the template in GIMP then open the image as well. I've tried copy and paste with the image, but a tiny image appears and I can't drag it to fit the template area required. I'm obviously missing something obvious. I'd be so grateful for any help.

Many thanks

Jude
URL to the template?
(03-03-2023, 04:06 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: URL to the template?

Hi Ofnuts, and thanks for replying. Sorry, I didn't understand 'URL to the template'. I'm hopelessly un-technical.

I downloaded the template from KDP and opened it in Gimp as you're supposed to, then you just pick the image you want from your library and put it on the template; I had created my own image for the front cover of the book. Every time I transferred the image onto the template it came up way too small and I couldn't remember, or find a way to fit it make it fit. I eventually solved it after spending all day trying things. The answer was simply to go into the Tool box and choose Transform and then Scale. I need to a basic refresher course with Gimp!
(03-04-2023, 10:26 AM)Jude48 Wrote:
(03-03-2023, 04:06 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: URL to the template?

Hi Ofnuts, and thanks for replying. Sorry, I didn't understand 'URL to the template'. I'm hopelessly un-technical.

I downloaded the template from KDP

URL to the template = where did you download it from? What is the address of the page?
@Ofnuts, KDP is a real can-of-worms

You calculate and down load a template from their site https://kdp.amazon.com/cover-calculator That comes in two forms, a PDF or a png. Obviously the PDF is opened as 300 ppi but the png is a monster 600 ppi.

No wonder the OP's art-work imported at a small size Wink  

Then the included text file ends with that CMYK / PDF message. Not the job for Gimp.

Lets see what Jude48 comes up with.
(03-04-2023, 01:09 PM)rich2005 Wrote: @Ofnuts, KDP is a real can-of-worms

You calculate and down load a template from their site https://kdp.amazon.com/cover-calculator That comes in two forms, a PDF or a png. Obviously the PDF is opened as 300 ppi but the png is a monster 600 ppi.

No wonder the OP's art-work imported at a small size Wink  

Then the included text file ends with that CMYK / PDF message. Not the job for Gimp.

Lets see what Jude48 comes up with.

Yes that's exactly what happened, got a PDF and PNG on the template and used the PNG. I found I could drag the artwork to the required edges of the template by using Tools - Transform - Scale. It took me all day to figure that operation out on Gimp. Just hope the book's cover will look ok! I published three paperbacks back in 2017 with KDP's template but never had this problem.
Quote:I'm hopelessly un-technical.....and......Just hope the book's cover will look ok! I published three paperbacks back in 2017 with KDP's template but never had this problem.

Well hope reigns Wink and if the image was first created by Gimp 2.10 it might just be OK, it depends on your graphic.

The page about resolutions is here: https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Image-size-in-Gimp

but in pictures, if you started off using real-world units say millimetres in Gimp 2.10 the default is 300 pixels-per-inch (ppi) and placing that in the 600 ppi template means you scale up x2

If you have a legacy image from your Gimp 2.8 then that used a default of 72 ppi Put that in the template and you need to scale up 600/72 = x8.33 and that will blur the image.

What to look for when making a canvas. If starting from scratch for the KDP template, increase the 300 ppi > 600 ppi before drawing.

Why does KDP use such a high ppi value of 600 ? Not sure, but from previous posts on KDP it is very picky about sizes and works to 3 decimal places. Gimp works in pixels and 600 ppi is a better approximation to the millimetre sizes.