Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not coming out like step by step
Ok Guys I am new to gimp. I am trying to fallow a tutorial to make gold lettering from YTube and everything comes out just like the tutorial says. the problem comes when the guy tells me to do a new project in the same one I am following and it does not connect to my layers that I am doing and I get stuck so I can't finish the lettering and It get's very frustrating. can someone help me with this? Thanks
URL or tutorial?
(05-11-2023, 09:26 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: URL or tutorial?

Create Gold Leaf Textures and Realistic Gold Text in GIMP - YouTube

(05-11-2023, 09:57 PM)quilla333 Wrote:
(05-11-2023, 09:26 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: URL or tutorial?

Create Gold Leaf Textures and Realistic Gold Text in GIMP - YouTube

The problem starts at 8:21 min in the tutorial. It does not do what it does in the tutorial, it does it separate from the layers I created as the tutorial
"the guy tells me to do a new project in the same one" where is that? Does not seem to be the time stamp included in the link.
that is the time he tells to put the text in the project.

(05-11-2023, 10:11 PM)quilla333 Wrote: that is the time he tells to put the text in the new composition

look in the 8:21 in the video
The tutorial says that you can do two things, either:

* Use File > Open as layers and load an existing image directly as a new layer in the image you are working on.
* If you have the image already open in Gimp, copy the layer to your current image by dragging it.

Of course he does a 3rd thing, which is opening the file as a new image, and then copying it to the current image.
Dumm question, how I do that? I think I tried that
What "that"?
Really it is two separate procedures. The first eight minutes is making that gold foil pattern and the rest consider as separate for some text.

1. DM uses drag and drop to add the pattern layer over the text. It is from the pattern, click-hold, drag into the text tab then into the canvas. If you can not do that then Edit -> Copy the pattern, into the text image and Edit -> Paste As -> New layer.

2. Back to the text layer to make a selection. DM uses some shortcut for this but for a beginner use the menu. Layer -> Transparency -> Alpha to selection. That selects the text characters.

3. To add the gold pattern to the text DM uses a layer mask. Make the pattern layer active, Use the menu Layer -> Mask -> Add Layer mask and the selection option.

4. Now the text is coloured, give it some texture by bump-mapping. File -> Map -> Bump Map. Use the rough base layer as the source, then adjust sliders to suit.

Those 4 steps as a 1 minute video: https://jmp.sh/9GQPjdrV (I do not think that is going to play, you will have to download it 4 MB mp4 file)

You can turn the selection off now and add any embellishments like that gradient.  Well done DM slapping your logo over the Gimp layers dock.