Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problems with circle-slash on paint bucket and rectangles ***Resolved
Hi, I am having problems with the circle-slash problem with rectangles and paint bucket.  BTW, Windows 10 Pro, Gimp 2.10.30

I want to make glossy buttons for my visual basic project and found a youtube video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecs0yk4Vasw.  I have used the instructions on the video to make several buttons, but now am encountering the dreaded circle-slash error. Here is what I do: Create a new file: File=>New and set the size to 360X240. Like in the video, I use the paint bucket to make the canvas white. So far so good.  Then when I try to make a rectangle (which I have done many times in the past), I get the circle-slash.  Based on the help on the internet, I click on Select=>All and I am able to create the rectangle.  I set the size to 240X120 with a rounded radius of 21.  Then I click on Select=>Save to Channel like in the video.  Then I create a new layer as per video.  Unlike the video, I want to fill the rectangle with red.  When I click on paint fill,  I get the circle-slash error again.  When I click the select=>all, my rectangle disappears.  I have no idea what has changed between when I was able to do this before and now am fighting it.  I really like Gimp but the problem I have with it is that I can accidently click something with my mouse and blow things up. As information, I have researched this problem on the internet and have tried what I have read to correct it: making sure there are no locks on my layers, making sure that select=> all is selected and so on and so forth.  I am not having any luck.  Please help me.  (Let me know if I need to send pictures of my settings.)  Thank you
You are in a subtract mode with your selection, check out in the Tool Options that you are in "Replace" or addition mode like in the screenshot below
If you don't see your tool options tab/dialog, go to Windows ➤ Dockable Dialogs ➤ Tool Options (is the first one from the list)

If this happens with the Bucket Fill, in tool options look somewhere there (don't use my settings) but look for fill whole selection, fill transparent...
https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en/gimp-tool-...-fill.html

Thank you! Your settings worked for me. I did change a setting in the paint bucket to fill whole selection, it worked for me. Gimp is so powerful and I only use about 5% of it. If I click in the wrong place but don't notice it, it drives me bonkers.