Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Error when trying to use GAP script
Hello,

I’d download the GAP scripts for GIMP (to make animations) and when trying to use it I’ve got this error message:

The .zip file was extracted into /home/guillaumesoucy/.config/GIMP/2.10/scripts and GIMP was restarted, a new tab named “Video” was added and when by example if I select something then Video -> Duplicate Continue it throw me the error above.

Someone please know how to make it work?

Thank-you,

Guillaume
"plug-in" hints that there is an executable (not a script, so not .scm, but .exe if you are on windows) and that one should go in the "plug-ins" directory, not in the "scripts" one.
(01-18-2022, 08:40 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: "plug-in" hints that there is an executable (not a script, so not .scm, but .exe if you are on windows) and that one should go in the "plug-ins" directory, not in the "scripts" one.

Hello,

I'm on Linux Mint, If I'm placing the extracted files into the "plug-ins" directory, the "Video" tab was not appearing in the menu bar. I took the files from Github. It look like if the platform .zip (or in my case .tar) the files from the repository.

Is that correct to use those files?

Thanks,

Guillaume
(01-18-2022, 09:03 PM)guillaumesoucy Wrote:
(01-18-2022, 08:40 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: "plug-in" hints that there is an executable (not a script, so not .scm, but .exe if you are on windows) and that one should go in the "plug-ins" directory, not in the "scripts" one.

Hello,

I'm on Linux Mint, If I'm placing the extracted files into the "plug-ins" directory, the "Video" tab was not appearing in the menu bar. I took the files from Github. It look like if the platform .zip (or in my case .tar) the files from the repository.

Is that correct to use those files?

Thanks,

Guillaume

As far as I can tell, if you install from GitHub you have to rebuild the package, it's not just a matter of putting files in the expected directories. See the README file  (or check the Homepage of the project, which is built from the README).
Quote:...I'm on Linux Mint, If I'm placing the extracted files into the "plug-ins" directory....

GAP is in Gimp terms ancient. The 'stable' version 2.6 goes back maybe 15 years.
The zip file from git is the code see: https://github.com/GNOME/gimp-gap There is information there about compiling. This is the 'development branch' version 2.7 and is still old, really meant for Gimp 2.8   It does compile, pulled this out of my archive, 25 binary plugins and two   .scm

Bits of it work, but not too well. It is really picky about layer names. Nothing much there that cannot be done with individual scripts and plugins.
If you want to try it without compiling the code, there is a .deb 2.6 package . Should be there in the Mint repo.

Then it also depends on the version of Gimp? From the Mint repo Gimp 2.10.22 (maybe) should install.
Using the flatpak Gimp 2.10.30 version. I do not think that will work.