Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[RESOLVED] Disable automatic update of GIMP
Hello,

Being generally quite resourceful with a computer, I usually post only as a last resort... but 'im unable to find a solution to my problem. I guess I'm the only one in this situation. 

I explain: I have been using the GIMP software to edit images of all kinds for a few years now, and for a few months, the official version 2.10 has been released. However, I find this version awful, and not only from an aesthetic point of view (otherwise I would go with it), but also functional. For example, I can no longer copy and paste an image from the clipboard into my layers, resizing an image changes its color, etc...

I've obviously reverted immediatly to version 2.8.22, which perfectly satisfies my needs, and that should be the end of my story, but... GIMP felt obliged to integrate an automatic update in its software. So at every startup, i have to uninstall the current version of gimp, and reinstall the version 2.8.22. which is quite boring in the end...

At the moment, I have tried different solutions: 

1. Look in the app settings.... obviously, there was nothing (Thanks GIMP) 
2. Searching the entirely registry from... nothing to disable updates either 
3. Search in all subfolders stamped GIMP to look for an Updater... nothing 
4. Search among programs that run at startup... nothing either 
5. Blocking access to sourceforge.net/projects/gimp and gimp.sourceforge.net in the host file, where the updates seem to come from... but it didn't work either. 

If someone has a solution to prevent the auto update, I confess that it will definitely help me, because I do not know what to do anymore.

My apologize, GIMP, i just found the solution and it was not your fault.

My antivirus (VIPRE) was automatically looking for installed software updates, and systematically installed the new version, without prompt or anything.

Post Resolved!
1. Aesthetics: you can use a different theme
2. Copy/paste: surprised, should work... What puts the images in the clipboard?
3. Resizing changes color:  "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.". Examples?
(08-02-2018, 07:14 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: 1. Aesthetics: you can use a different theme
2. Copy/paste: surprised, should work... What puts the images in the clipboard?
3. Resizing changes color:  "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.". Examples?

2. Seems to work now... i don't know why it was not the case last time, but Ctrl + V and Ctrl + Maj + V were both resulting in the error message "there is nothing to paste in your clipboad" or something like that

3. Apoligize, i just tried, it's not resizing that change the colors, it's rotating. It's a functionnality that i basically use a lot, and i wasted too much time to rebalance the colors to original (10 minuts in fact, then i reinstalled 2.8.22). So there is probably a way to fix it with some parameters, but as a basic user, with huge time constraints, this is time I can't spend right now.

Extraordinary evidence: I applied a 90° rotation, then 90° back on both images...

Resizing with 2.10.4:[Image: GIMP_problem_rotation.png]

Same with 2.8.22:[Image: GIMP_rotation.png]

I don't want to criticize GIMP for pleasure. On the opposite, I really like this application that helps me daily.
If I complain about problems, it's because they really happened. I sincerely hope that this will help to improve the software

Regards.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Rotating or scaling will introduce a degree of anti-aliasing / interpolation and Gimp 2.10 is different from Gimp 2.8

Generally is a little lighter due to the new modes.

For rotation you will get some improvement if you change the interpolation method from cubic to NoHalo

[Image: d9Psw6q.jpg]

The new interpolation methods explained
LoHalo method: when you downscale an image that is less than a half of the original size
NoHalo method: when you do not reduce the size much (rotate, shear or something)

Although in my opinion never much difference between them
No such problem for me. The fact that black goes grey could be a problem with opacity. Can you repeat this with a color image (for instance a FG to BG full saturation gradient)?