Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RGB to LCH Conversions
I've coded a conversion of RGB to LCH  & tried to use Gimp to verify my numbers. However, there are discrepencies which I don't understand. 
e.g. 
#0009be     RGB(0,9,190):     Gimp LCH (21.3, 102.9, 300.7)    My LCH (23.4, 105.1, 305.7)

The ColorMath Online Colour converter & Converting Colours Converter agree with me, give or take some minor rounding errors.
Is Gimp doing some sort of Out of Gamut compensation? (I'm guessing at this because I'm a beginner in this area).
Do you convert from RGB directly, or do you take in account gamma correction, and if so, how?
I'm using sRGB values as input which is already 2.2 isn't it? I'm on a v steep learning curve here so it's v likely that I've missed something.
(sRGB -> XYZ -> LAB -> LCh using D65 white point)
Your values agree with this.

Yes, gamma is 2.2 although technically it is linear (=0) for very small values but I don't think this matters here.

The answer is likely in the source code of the GEGL component of Gimp.
Given 3 other converters agree with me, I think I'm happy to go with what I've got for my purposes (though we could all be creating the same error based on internet searches :-)).
Would you recommend that I progress this e.g. with a bug report, in case there's an issue within Gimp?
(04-11-2023, 06:34 PM)NotEvenStickMen Wrote: Given 3 other converters agree with me, I think I'm happy to go with what I've got for my purposes (though we could all be creating the same error based on internet searches :-)).
Would you recommend that I progress this e.g. with a bug report, in case there's an issue within Gimp?

Well, at least you could get an answer about the difference.
Thanks for your replies; much appreciated.