Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rotate Tool - Why Does the Grid Rotate?
When using the rotate tool, an overlay grid appears. This would be very useful to line up the thing being rotated to get it exactly square, but the grid itself also rotates. 

Why does it do this, and is it possible to stop the grid turning?
Quote:When using the rotate tool, an overlay grid appears. This would be very useful to line up the thing being rotated to get it exactly square, but the grid itself also rotates.

For straightening, put the rotate tool into Corrective (Backward) mode and rotate the grid so it is parallel to a vertical (or horizontal) Rotate will then apply the correction. Gimp 2.8 and Gimp 2.10 similar.

[Image: 4Y8QtwC.jpg]

In Gimp 2.10.6 there is now another option for straightening using the measure tool.

Quote:Why does it do this, and is it possible to stop the grid turning?

In Normal mode if you do not like the grid disable it in the tool options. The guides dropdown menu has various configurations.
edit: you can always use a guides which do not rotate with the layer
Ah! That does what I want, thanks.

In the 'Normal (Forward)' mode, why does the grid rotate with the selection? I have never understood the reason for that.
Quote:In the 'Normal (Forward)' mode, why does the grid rotate with the selection? I have never understood the reason for that.

Well, you might want to line up one layer with another layer where horizontal/vertical guides are not useful.

and for straightening photographs, when you get to Gimp 2.10.6 then there is that measure tool I mentioned earlier.

Ah, I see. Thanks!