Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rearranging the dialog boxes
I HATE single-window mode, is there any way to make deactivating that PERMANENT, or am I stuck changing that setting every time I bring up Gimp? 

Having the Brushes-Layers dialog box with the rarely-used Brushes and patterns on top and the constantly-used Layers on the bottom is such a nightmare that I'm still using 2.82 for every possible thing. Please tell me there's a way to rearrange it the way it is in 2.82, with the layers/channels/paths half on TOP... and ideally KEEP it that way?
If you unset single-window mode, you are back to 2.8-style UI. Then to save your settings, see:  https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Managi...-positions
(06-02-2022, 11:02 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: If you unset single-window mode, you are back to 2.8-style UI. Then to save your settings, see:   https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Managi...-positions

Looking at that other thread, it looks like doing "save tool options now" should've maintained my preference to NOT have it all be one window… But it didn't work. Sad Are there any other options?

Any thoughts on how to get the layers dialog box to be on top rather than on the bottom?
Quote:...Looking at that other thread, it looks like doing "save tool options now" should've maintained my preference to NOT have it all be one window… But it didn't work...

To fix the Window layout use Edit -> Preferences -> Interface -> Window Management Untick 'Save Window Positions on Exit' Click on Save Window Positions Now' Ok and exit Preferences.

A note about 'Save Tool Options Now' again you need to untick ...on Exit before clicking 'Save Tool Options Now' and for Gimp 2.10 you need to repeat the procedure for 'Input Devices' for a tool fix.

I assume MacOS is the same as other OS.
I've tried it with "save tool options now" ticked and unticked, quitting out and coming back… No luck either way.

I'm not sure what you're suggesting I should do on the 'Input Devices' screen...?

Any ideas about not having the Layers dialogue buried at the bottom of the page?
(06-03-2022, 07:58 AM)HavingTooMuchFun Wrote: I've tried it with "save tool options now" ticked and unticked, quitting out and coming back… No luck either way.

I'm not sure what you're suggesting I should do on the 'Input Devices' screen...?

Any ideas about not having the Layers dialogue buried at the bottom of the page?

Seem to recall I wrote: To fix the Window layout use Edit -> Preferences -> Interface -> Window Management Untick 'Save Window Positions on Exit' Click on Save Window Positions Now' Ok and exit Preferences.

Never mind: Best I can demo is an old Mac VirtualBox that I can drag out occasionally.

About two and a half minutes https://youtu.be/ZWkTnHSbxwE

Yes, you DID write that, and then *I* wrote that it didn't work, lol! I had no idea that the elements of the layers//brushes dialog box were draggable! I was able to set it up, tried the procedure to save it, and it didn't work… BUT, then the window splitting thing had suddenly stuck! After a couple of more tries, the layers/brushes dialogue box finally saved as well! HALLELUJAH! Thank you so much for your help! :-)