Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remove white mark
How do I go about removing a white mark from the middle of a photo (With a dark background behind it)? For some reason the forum won't let me upload the image in question.
More than one way, sometimes depends on the image.

In the tool box, select the Clone Tool.
In the Tool Options, select a suitable brush (eg round, hardness0.75).
Adjust the brush size to suit.
Set the Source by Right-Click (source is part of the image to be copied).
Click-Drag over the white mark (with the Left mouse button).
More info here: https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-tool-clone.html

Another method is to download and install the Resynthesizer plug-in. This is a collection of about 6 filters. One of them is "Heal Selection". This is good for removing marks, telephone cables, etc.
(03-12-2019, 11:00 AM)donnasim Wrote: How do I go about removing a white mark from the middle of a photo (With a dark background behind it)? For some reason the forum won't let me upload the image in question.

Probably your image is too large. Crop out the mark with a bit of background to give an indication of what is required.

Difficult to  give a reply without seeing the problem, use the clone tool perhaps. Often the heal-selection + resynthesizer plugins works. A recent post on the subject. https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Where-...rency-tool
(03-12-2019, 11:00 AM)donnasim Wrote: How do I go about removing a white mark from the middle of a photo (With a dark background behind it)? For some reason the forum won't let me upload the image in question.

You can upload images but there is a size restriction (500K for JPEG and PNG...). Depending on need you can crop the image tp the relevant part or scale it down.
Ok here is the photo attached. THanks guys

Attached Files Image(s)

Quick play.

1. Resynthesizer > Heal Selection
2. G'MIC > DCP Dehaze

Attached Files Image(s)

Never going to be wonderful. You could try.

Choose a green. Try as a starter RGB = 20,35,15 as shown in inset.

New transparent layer. Set the layer mode to multiply. Set a reduced (say 50) opacity.
Use a big fuzzy brush. Carefully 'dab' in over the 'haze' Try and avoid the sky and the beach.

Using rather plain tools:

- Using the Lasso, make a selection around the hazy area
- Select>Feather that. I used 30px on the provided image , adjust in proportion of your actual image size
- Color>Hue-Saturation and decrease Lightness a bit

- You can also add a moderate amount of sharpening (Filters>Enhance>Sharpen)