Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Removing green blur from nature photo
Hi. I am new to this software. So forgive my questions as I attempt to learn. 

I took this picture of a night heron as jpeg, and as you can see, there are some green blurred areas in the foreground. This is due to some out-of-focus blades of grass between the camera and subject. 

How would I go about removing these green blurs? 

Thank you. 

[Image: IMG-9001.jpg]
Since the bird is grey you can remove some of the green tint  by using the channel mixer to make the green channel follow more closely the Blue/Red ones by recomposing it partially from them, after making a fuzzy selection on the affected areas.

Not sure you can efficiently recover the blur itself, but since this isn't on the head, which is what most people look at, you can leave it at that.
(06-03-2021, 12:19 AM)ellie_cat Wrote: How would I go about removing these green blurs? 

Hi, Ellie Cat.  I took Ofnuts suggestion to use the channel mixer on the tail feathers.  That allowed me to get them to a point where I could use the color picker tool to sample some of the coloration of gray(American spelling) on the breast feathers and apply it with the airbrush tool, set to a very low color and hardness, followed by a sharpening of the tail feathers.

For the wing, you can easily select a non-greenish area and use the clone tool to drag down over the green tints at the bottom.

To remove the green blotches from the water, and the reeds the bird is standing on, the clone tool was also used at varying sizes and levels.  I could have done a much more realistic job on the reeds, as they look sort of uniform now, but it kind of got away from me and I didn't feel like going back to make it look more varied.

Total time spent = 5 minutes.  Hope it will give you some ideas.

[Image: MXBzTfr.jpg]
Thank you for the help. I will give this a try.
Hello,  Smile 

Here is another result (without brush, pen, or clone):

I made a selection of about blue hue (water and bird but legs) and a color rotation (colors->map->rotate colors) : about green to about blue.
I inverted the selection and made another color rotation : about green to about yellow.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: I improve the result a little (select the tail feathers, then color rotation : about yellow to about red and lower saturation).
(06-03-2021, 02:53 PM)cli345 Wrote: Hello,  Smile 

Here is another result (without brush, pen, or clone):

I made a selection of about blue hue (water and bird but legs) and a color rotation (colors->map->rotate colors) : about green to about blue.
I inverted the selection and made another color rotation : about green to about yellow.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: I improve the result a little (select the tail feathers, then color rotation : about yellow to about red and lower saturation).

That's a better technique that what I utilized, Cli, because I really messed up the reedy ground the bird was standing on while trying to get the green out.  Good job.