Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rename layers (visible or linked)
Quote:..Watching the video, I even thought it was strange that you indicated search-replace.py in post #5 but didn't make any indication about this script (rename-layers.scm).

I think the search-replace.py plugin is a bit restrictive (and buggy) What it needs is a wildcard function for the search.

..so reverted to what I know and the 2011 rename-layers.scm (by hevan)

...ended up with a similar workflow to yours.
(03-25-2022, 04:31 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
Quote:..Watching the video, I even thought it was strange that you indicated search-replace.py in post #5 but didn't make any indication about this script (rename-layers.scm).

I think the search-replace.py plugin is a bit restrictive (and buggy) What it needs is a wildcard function for the search.

..so reverted to what I know and the 2011 rename-layers.scm (by hevan)

...ended up with a similar workflow to yours.

Maybe it's just my version of Gimp, maybe not...

When using the rename-layers.scm script I came to the following conclusion:

The active layer will always be considered by the script as the starting point.
The renaming will be from the bottom to the top ** (not the numbering, which can be in both directions).

If you choose to rename all layers (visible and invisible), but keep the fourth layer active (for example) from the bottom up, only from this layer onwards will the renaming take place.

One advantage of this peculiarity:

Keeping a certain layer active and telling the script (in the "Name(s) multiplicator" field) how many layers you want to rename, only that certain number of layers will be renamed!
Example:
--I select the 8th layer (from bottom to top) and enter the value 5 in the "Name(s) multiplicator" field, only the 5 layers from the 8th will be renamed. (**remembering that the renaming is always from bottom to top in this script).

This script is also good for reversing the order generated by the Anitools plugin - rename all layers.

---➤> Just do not provide any name and choose the direction from bottom to top. Then (Ctrl+F) to repeat the command and remove some names with # added on the first run of the script.

So remembering: Always be aware of the active layer when using this script.
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
I found that with rename-layers.scm the procedure is easier, without the need to ungroup and regroup the layers.  

This script allows renaming within groups! Exclamation

As it only works within the selected group, there is not even the need to change the other layers/groups in terms of visibility.

The process definitely becomes much more practical with this script!
(03-26-2022, 10:51 AM)Krikor Wrote: I found that with rename-layers.scm the procedure is easier, without the need to ungroup and regroup the layers.  

As it only works within the selected group, there is not even the need to change the other layers/groups in terms of visibility.

do you have a link of this rename-layer.scm?
(03-26-2022, 03:24 PM)PixLab Wrote:
(03-26-2022, 10:51 AM)Krikor Wrote: I found that with rename-layers.scm the procedure is easier, without the need to ungroup and regroup the layers.  

I already provided the link before  Wink

(03-25-2022, 03:12 PM)Krikor Wrote: EDITED:

Ok, I did a search and found the rename-layers.scm at https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-layerg...8#pid18718

Thx rich2205!
(03-26-2022, 06:30 PM)Krikor Wrote:
(03-26-2022, 03:24 PM)PixLab Wrote:

I already provided the link before  Wink

(03-25-2022, 03:12 PM)Krikor Wrote: EDITED:

Ok, I did a search and found the rename-layers.scm at https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-layerg...8#pid18718

Thx rich2205!

Thanks Krikor
BTW, what you asked is there https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-How-di...s-elevator Big Grin