Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Resize image within photo
Hello. New to forum. I would like to know how to resize an image within a photo file without reducing the whole photo. I have not been able to get an answer to this question with multiple searches. Most posts have to do with reducing/compressing the entire photo file, and this is not what I want to do. I want to shrink an image to make a more usable wallpaper. I am new to photo editing so am very ignorant of terms so please be gentle. Thanks
I don't think I understand the question? If you just want to change the size of a portion of an image I would crop the image and then resize the cropped portion.
Like I said I am new to photo editing and am totally ignorant of terms. I know what I want to do but have problems conveying to others. I apologize for the confusion. I have an image of a globe within a black backdrop, like a planet in deep space. I want to shrink the image of the planet without shrinking the whole image so that the planet image just looks smaller within the photo.
I think this is the question, but I could be wrong

Quote:...  I would like to know how to resize an image within a photo file without reducing the whole photo...snip...I want to shrink an image to make a more usable wallpaper...

You can resize part of a canvas (your photo) by selection and then scaling. The unified transform is a good tool for this, hold the ctrl-key down and drag the big corner squares. Make sure you have an alpha channel Layer -> Transparency -> Add Alpha.

little demo animation of that: https://i.imgur.com/sdPzDVY.mp4 shrinking grumpy cat.

Then it all depends on the original image because that leaves a transparent hole to fill in 

and how that is done depends on the image, could be using a plugin or maybe the clone tool or whatever is appropriate.

It would help if you could post an example, if it is large then try imgur.com

Edit: Just see your second post. A black background, no problem, bucket fill the under layer.
Going on from Rich's answer - duplicate your layer first. Then do what he said. Make sure the photo you select has an alpha channel and then the photo at back will show through - you should be able to move the background layer so the image you wanted to resize doesn't show through.

Smile