Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Resize selection made by Ctrl+A
Sorry if this seems a silly question but can someone please explain why, when in rectangle select mode, it isn't possible to use Ctrl+A to select all and then resize the selection from that? No transformation handles are available. Is there a reason for this?
It's not a silly question, it could have be nice to have handles on a Ctrl+A (in few cases only) Wink
Ctrl+A = "Select All" and is not dependent of the selected tool, thus the feeling that Ctrl+A = "Select All + Enter"
Ctrl+A works on all your Windows OS (Linux it's the same, Mac is similar witth CMD+A), it works on/in your folders, it works in your browser, it works pretty much everywhere on any-app with the very same behaviour.

Next is pure allegation, I'm no programmer ➤ So it's (maybe) a mitigation to behave that way as it's also an operating system command, and people will expect to behave that way. But I'm more whiling to believe it's taken directly from the OS or desktop environment like the Ctrl+X/C/V.
(04-06-2022, 02:09 AM)PixLab Wrote: It's not a silly question, it could have be nice to have handles on a Ctrl+A (in few cases only) Wink
Ctrl+A = "Select All" and is not dependent of the selected tool, thus the feeling that Ctrl+A = "Select All + Enter"
Ctrl+A works on all your Windows OS (Linux it's the same, Mac is similar witth CMD+A), it works on/in your folders, it works in your browser, it works pretty much everywhere on any-app with the very same behaviour.

Next is pure allegation, I'm no programmer ➤ So it's (maybe) a mitigation to behave that way as it's also an operating system command, and people will expect to behave that way. But I'm more whiling to believe it's taken directly from the OS or desktop environment like the Ctrl+X/C/V.

Thanks for that and I totally get what you're saying but other image editors/viewers I've used work with Ctrl+A and then can resize from that eg: PhotoFiltre, Inkscape, Irfanview. I just think that when the selection tool is activated, what else could Ctrl+A possibly mean? In GIMP it selects the whole image but then you can't do anything with it.
Try this:
- Ctrl + A to select all
- do a single click inside the selection with rectangle select tool
Handles will appear to modify the selection.

This can be done on any existing selection (the selection shape is first transform to the bounding rectangle).
(04-06-2022, 05:09 AM)tmanni Wrote: Try this:
- Ctrl + A to select all

This can be done on any existing selection (the selection shape is first transform to the bounding rectangle).

Cool trick.

It actually works with any existing selection: the rectangle selections is initially set to the bounding rectangle of the pre-existing selection. And i also works with the Ellipse selection (initial ellipse inscribed in the bounding box).
That does not work on my installation, kubuntu / gimp 2.10.30  Ctrl-A (select-all)  selects all of a layer or canvas, replacing any selection.

All that is needed is clicking inside the selection boundary, providing the selection is still active and the appropriate selection tool is used.

Not the best explanation or demo but FWIW https://i.imgur.com/uK50VlY.mp4
- Ctrl + A to select all

Wowww! I just tried it, that is a super cool trick! Thanks a LOT tmanni.

(04-06-2022, 07:41 AM)rich2005 Wrote: That does not work on my installation, kubuntu / gimp 2.10.30  Ctrl-A (select-all)  selects all of a layer or canvas, replacing any selection.

All that is needed is clicking inside the selection boundary, providing the selection is still active and the appropriate selection tool is used.

Not the best explanation or demo but FWIW https://i.imgur.com/uK50VlY.mp4

I'll try to explain
Don't select any selection tool, let say you've selected the move tool (although you can have selection tool selected, it will work just fine, but just for the exercise)
Just do a Ctrl+A (canvas is in focus, NOT the layers' dialog/stack) on a layer even if there is only 1 layer it's OK.
Now select the rectangle selection tool or the ellipse tool, then click inside the selection (just click, nothing else) => You've got handles to resize it Wink
It means that you can resize a "Ctrl+A" with rectangle or ellipse tool selected (or any selection ➤ see Ofnuts answer for the boundary box adapting to pre-existing selection)
- Ctrl + A to select all

Oh my god, you are a legend!!!! It never even occurred to me to do this!! Thank you so much :-D