Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Resizing Images
Hello, 

I've messed around with Gimp for a few years when I need to do something but today I'm having a lot of problems using the scale tool. I have a base layer with an image, I paste in a second image that I put on its own layer that I can manipulate with the unified transform tool and rotate tools just fine but the image is too large and I wanted to scale it down with the scale tool but I am unable to just select the image I want and instead it selects the whole canvas. What am I doing wrong? I don't ever recall having this issue before so I guess I'm doing something wrong.

Cheers
Az

Never mind, I figured it out shortly after posting. In tool options Transform was set to image instead of layer *face palm*

Sorry about that, if you're a mod please delete the thread Smile
Edit: I see you figured it out.

Is the layer you want to scale the active layer?  Are you using Scale Image or Scale Layer?

(07-28-2023, 09:33 AM)liviabarb Wrote:
(07-25-2023, 03:55 PM)Azean Wrote: Hello, 

I've messed around with Gimp for a few years when I need to do something but today I'm having a lot of problems using the scale tool. I have a base layer with an image, I paste in a second image that I put on its own layer that I can manipulate with the unified transform tool and rotate tools just fine but the image is too large and I wanted to scale it down with the scale tool but I am unable to just select the image I want and instead it selects the whole canvas. What am I doing wrong? I don't ever recall having this issue before so I guess I'm doing something wrong.

Cheers
Az

Never mind, I figured it out shortly after posting. In tool options Transform was set to image instead of layer *face palm*

Sorry about that, if you're a mod please delete the thread Smile

Hi. I've run into the same kind of problem before! Here's a quick fix:
  • First, make sure you've selected the layer with the image you want to scale in the Layers dialogue box.
  • Then, use the Rectangle Select Tool (the dashed square in the toolbox) to draw a selection around the area you want to scale.
  • Finally, go to the menu and choose Layer > Crop to Selection.
Now, when you use the Scale Tool, it should just affect the image in that layer and not the whole canvas. I hope this helps!

Selecting the layer in Layers is enough to make it the target f the scale tool. And no need to crop, if you have a selection mask, only that part is scaled (to a floating selection).