Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Resolution keeps changing from saved resolution
I typically use 150 dpi when creating my graphics, however, sometimes when I open them, the resolution changes to what translates to 150.22 or something like that, but it's showing in mm or something (can't pull up an example right now, and I can't remember exactly, as I'm not on my usual computer). How can I keep it set as always my default resolution and that it doesn't change to something else I never selected in the first place. But it changes the size of the graphic.

I have tried to look online, but all I can find are directions for just changing the resolution, which I know how to do. I just want a permanent setting for the preference. I did setup my preference for what I want my default starting document to be and it IS set for 150 dpi. However, it never opens to the size document I set it up to be.

I currently have version 2.10.20.
You can get a fractional resolution when you set the print size directly. resolution=size(pixels)/size(inches), and the pixels are always an integer count.
(08-11-2020, 06:41 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: You can get a fractional resolution when you set the print size directly. resolution=size(pixels)/size(inches), and the pixels are always an integer count.

How do I keep it set to the 150 dpi I want? I saved it, the resolution of the document should stay how I saved it, but when I open it, it changes. I'm not sure how that would fix my problem. I've never set a print size. I just set the resolution and size of my document when I create it.
(08-12-2020, 07:09 PM)RedBaron96 Wrote: I just set the resolution and size of my document when I create it.
DP you set the size in pixels or in physical units (mm, inches...)?
(08-12-2020, 08:48 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(08-12-2020, 07:09 PM)RedBaron96 Wrote: I just set the resolution and size of my document when I create it.

I use dpi with physical units, 150 dpi and usually a 6 inch block, but not always. It wasn't an issue for a long time, things opened as I'd saved them. Then it started doing it again. I figured it was something in the update that had changed.
(08-12-2020, 09:00 PM)RedBaron96 Wrote:
(08-12-2020, 08:48 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:

I use dpi with physical units, 150 dpi and usually a 6 inch block, but not always. It wasn't an issue for a long time, things opened as I'd saved them. Then it started doing it again. I figured it was something in the update that had changed.

So this is the normal behavior. The resolution is adjusted so that size × resolution is an integer number.
(08-13-2020, 06:47 AM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(08-12-2020, 09:00 PM)RedBaron96 Wrote:
(08-12-2020, 08:48 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: DP you set the size in pixels or in physical units (mm, inches...)?

So this is the normal behavior. The resolution is adjusted so that size × resolution is an integer number.

I guess I just don't understand why it changes from what I saved. It didn't do that what I first started using the program. I *hate* having to resize it every time I open a file.
(08-23-2020, 03:11 AM)RedBaron96 Wrote:
(08-13-2020, 06:47 AM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(08-12-2020, 09:00 PM)RedBaron96 Wrote: I use dpi with physical units, 150 dpi and usually a 6 inch block, but not always. It wasn't an issue for a long time, things opened as I'd saved them. Then it started doing it again. I figured it was something in the update that had changed.

I guess I just don't understand why it changes from what I saved. It didn't do that what I first started using the program. I *hate* having to resize it every time I open a file.

When it does that it change the DPI very little (goes for instance from 300 to 300.13) changing it back won't change anything to the final result. Or we are talking about something very different but then I would need the actual numbers you entered, and the actual numbers Gimp saves to try to give an explanation.