Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Resynthesizer ???
My first post here.

Windows 7 (it is not a choice in the registration - Vista is as late as it gets)
GIMP 2.10.6 (I didn't see that as a choice either)

I have just successfully (I think) installed my first plug-in = Resynthesizer

Contained in the Zip-file, but not inside the Win64 folder were eight more .py plug-ins:
1. Heal_Selection
2. Heal_Transparency
3. Map_Style
4. Render_Texture
5. Resynth_Enlarge
6. Resynth_Fill_Pattern
7. Resynth_Sharpen
8. Uncrop

When I go to Filters > Map > , Resynthesize is there and a little window with two tabs, "Options" and "Tweaks" will open when I click on Resynthesize.

There is a bit of confusion in that everywhere I read about the plug-in, and even the file names in the download, all refer to it as "Resynthesizer"; however, in the Filters > Map > menu, and on the dialogue window, it is simply Resynthesize = no "r"; is that how it should be ?

I sort of thought that these other eight plug-ins should also show in the filter menu, but I sure cannot find them.
I put everything in C > Users > Username > AppData > Roaming > GIMP > 2.10 > Plug-ins   ---  is that the right place ?

I have lots more questions once I have the answers to these two.

Thanks for reading and all help is appreciated.
Quote:..dialogue window, it is simply Resynthesize = no "r"; is that how it should be..

yes

Quote:I put everything in C > Users > Username > AppData > Roaming > GIMP > 2.10 > Plug-ins   ---  is that the right place ?

Yes - like this

Quote:..I sort of thought that these other eight plug-ins should also show in the filter menu, but I sure cannot find them...

Not all of them register in the same place. The two most used heal-selection and heal-transparency show up in Filters -> Enhance you can find menu locations using the Gimp menu Help -> Plugin Browser and a search term usually shows a choice. 
Another way is look at the contents of the python plugin with notepad, where you can see something like menu="<Image>/Filters/Render"

Those plugins rely on resynthesizer to work but the actual plugin Filers -> Map -> Resynthesize.. will make a (simple) design seamless & tile-able.

As a note, that zip package was put together for Gimp 2.8 in 2013. Still waiting for a Windows-Wiz to recompile an update. A couple of the python plugins have been updated but the essentials heal selection, heal transparency work ok. 

When it comes to resynth-enlarge / resynth-sharpen there are now better Gimp tools. I would not even bother with those.
Thanks !
Are there any tutorials that explain how to use these plug-ins?
(11-10-2018, 05:50 PM)BuckSkin Wrote: Are there any tutorials that explain how to use these plug-ins?

Not really, depends what you want to do.

For the plugins the most used is heal-selection which has a few demos see: https://patdavid.net/2012/08/getting-aro...ction.html

heal-transparency does what it says, fills in a transparent hole or expands to fill in a transparent border
uncrop is just an automated heal-transparency to increase the canvas size and fill in the space.

resynth-fill-pattern is an automated make-a-pattern tilable using resynthesizer and fill the canvas (or selection) Making good seamless tilable patterns is a bit of a dark art and best done manually Wink  

For resynth-enlarge and resynth-sharpen the standard Gimp 2.10 filters are as good or better. Remember these plugins are from 2010 and things change.
Thanks !
I appreciate the help.