Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reusing a Save Mask to edit an image
Hi
I created a mask on an image that I was working on some time back. I want to use the mask again to rework that image. I exported and save the mask as a .jpeg file and I still have the original image. 
However, when I endeavour to open them, I cannot get the "Mask" to display next to the original image on the same layer as it did when I first created it. 
I read somewhere that holding Ctrl / Shift keys down at the same time would open them together but I cannot make this work. 
I can open them both as stand alone images, or as layers, but not as an Image / Mask.
Could someone please suggest a tutorial that could explain this process or perhaps give me a description of what I need to do and attach to this thread. 
Many Thanks
Gazza
(08-20-2021, 04:50 AM)gazza Wrote: Hi
I created a mask on an image that I was working on some time back. I want to use the mask again to rework that image. I exported and save the mask as a .jpeg file and I still have the original image. 
However, when I endeavour to open them, I cannot get the "Mask" to display next to the original image on the same layer as it did when I first created it. 
I read somewhere that holding Ctrl / Shift keys down at the same time would open them together but I cannot make this work. 
I can open them both as stand alone images, or as layers, but not as an Image / Mask.
Could someone please suggest a tutorial that could explain this process or perhaps give me a description of what I need to do and attach to this thread. 
Many Thanks
Gazza
  • File > Open the initial image
  • File > Open as layers the mask image
  • Unless the mask image is bigger than the other, make the other image invisble
  • Open the Channels list
  • Drag one of the R/G/B channels to the (empty) list below to copy it. You can double-click it to give it a name.
  • Remove the mask layer, make the initial image visible
  • Layer > Mask > Add layer mask, initialize to "Channel" and give it the channel you just created