Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Revert to 2.10.32?
Ubuntu 20.04

Current version:
GIMP 2.10.34-1build6-ubuntu2004(focal)

Since the recent upgrade to 2.10.34 I have found it unstable - particularly for selections. Today I did a mask to selection and then found it impossible to save the selection to a channel or to exit the display of the mask. I have also found problems using colour invert, a primary blue changed to a pale blue rather than yellow. Certain operations also are very slow compared with the previous 2.10.32 version.

Is it possible to revert to 2.10.32 and retain my Python 2.7 support? (Synaptic only offers 2.10.18 as an alternative.)

I have downloaded gimp-2.10.32.tar.bz2 in case that will be of use.

I would appreciate advice before I make things worse!!!
I can't reproduce any of your problems with my 2.10.34...
Thanks for your quick reply.

Should I try a re-installation from Synaptic, in case I have a corrupted file somewhere?
I assume nothing in my profile should have affected it, as that has not been changed since the upgrade.
I am using the same PPA and Gimp version 2.10.34 except it is a kubuntu 20.04

Same as Ofnuts, both those issues "mask to selection / save selection to channel" and "invert" (I get yellow from blue as expected) are working.

I can not find any easy way to go back to Gimp 2.10.32 I tried stealing packages from other linux and get dependency errors, not unexpected. Regardless of what Ofnuts says, compiling Gimp using the package you downloaded is not for the faint hearted.

Have you tried, renaming your Gimp profile and starting Gimp to make a new default version ? Then see if the problem persists.

EDIT: Just see your post, your Gimp user profile gets changed all the time. Always worth a reset.
(04-22-2023, 06:19 PM)rich2005 Wrote: I can not find any easy way to go back to Gimp 2.10.32 I  tried stealing packages from other linux and get dependency errors, not unexpected. Regardless of what Ofnuts says, compiling Gimp using the package you downloaded  is not for the faint hearted.

A possible way is to just steal the binary executable from the 2.10.32 .DEB and replace the 2.10.34 executable in /usr/bin with it, this could fix the issue with mask/selection.

Color > Invert would be more likely a problem with GEGL to you would have to regress these packages as well, possibly by replacing the library.

But as stated above, the problem may not be in the Gimp version.
I renamed the profile and restarted Gimp (with it's horrible dark screen!). With a small file I was able to do a "select by colour" and then "save selection to channel".
The file which caused my original problem - an .NEF file of 52 MB which converts to a .TIF of 275 MB and 850 MB when loaded into Gimp - I was able to do a "select by colour" but it refused to "save selection to channel".

I have 32 GB of RAM and my Tile Cache size I have set to 24 GB.

I think I need to try with other images of similar size, although they have not given me problems in the past.
I have tried with a .TIF file of the same size which I had successfully processed in the past, using the same procedure.
This showed the same problem. I re-instated my original profile and the result was the same. This suggests to me that there is no problem with the profile.
Running Gimp from the terminal does not give any error message.
(04-23-2023, 08:59 AM)david Wrote: I have tried with a .TIF file of the same size which I had successfully processed in the past, using the same procedure.
This showed the same problem. I re-instated my original profile and the result was the same. This suggests to me that there is no problem with the profile.
Running Gimp from the terminal does not give any error message.

Suggests to me there is something up with the tif file when opened in Gimp. Can you give a clue as to origin of the tif or some details on size in pixels, colour profile, anything.  

Imagemagick with the command identify -verbose filename.tif is useful.

Do you still have an old Gimp 2.10.22 appimage available ? You could try that.

EDIT: I just pulled out the largest tif I have, 144 MB / LZW compression / sRGB - Opens in Gimp 8032 x 6622 pix, with a layermask and a selection saved as channel Shows in Gimp as 873 MB Selections / colour invert working OK.
So I wonder what is going on. Looking at my synaptic log, there was a libtiff5 update last month, I have this: libtiff5 4.1.0+git191117-2ubuntu0.20.04.8
Is everything up-to-date ? Just a thought. Although you have no problem with smaller files, so maybe not that.

What are you using to convert the .NEF file to tif ?
Tried with a 54MPix (32-bit FP and 8-bit) and still no problem. Also have a hard time thinking the problem comes from TIFF. Given the size of the image many things are slow, if you want to get ahead Gimp can get confused.
The images I have been trying with are 8288 x 5520 16-bit FP. The problem only arises when Select-by-Colour is of a substantial part of the image. I waited 15 minutes for it to Save-Selection-to-Channel without success. This is with a 4GB/sec processor of 8 cores and 32 GB of RAM.

I have confirmed this with other images derived from RAWs of various sorts, all converted to 16-bit FP.

It would appear that for large images I may have to find alternative ways of making selections so that I can make adjustments to various regions.

Thanks for all your help and apologies if I have sent you on a wild goose chase.

Edit: @ Rich. I don't have any appimage versions of GIMP. I checked that libtiff5 is up-to-date. File conversions were done with Filmulator and NuFraw.