Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roof tiles
Is there a way to create a repeating series of rectangles that would look like roof tiles or shingles (just a simple outline drawing, no texture)? The idea would be to fill up an outline drawing of a roof staggered with rows of shingles with a thickish line separating each course.

Thanks in advance!
- make a tile or get one from the internet
- select the tile (fuzzy select) and copy the tile (Edit / Copy) It is now a brush
- make a new image ( File / New)
- with the Path Tool draw some parallel lines from left to right / up down on the same path layer
- with the 'roof tile' brush : stroke / path (values in the Paintbrush dock - see image below)
- done

PS : all the values depend on the dimensions of the roof tile image

@sl60

Not exactly what you are asking for, taken from a photograph of some shingles. I like the irregular shapes rather than pure rectangles. Making a repeatable pattern can be a bit of an art but for a simple pattern Layer -> Transform -> Offset and width/2, height/2 will make it repeatable. (Does not always make the middle suitable but that is another story)

Then there is applying the pattern to an image. Unlike a brush, a pattern size is not immediately scalable, so that needs a transform tool. The unified-transform tool can make any corrections all in one go. All depends on the image.

My take on making and applying a pattern https://youtu.be/XMV0Kvv2Qy0 only 3 1/2 minutes so no great epic. Might be bits in there that you can use.
Thank you Rich for the video with explanation of the unified transform tool. Best explanation and video. I love your videos. Very clearly stated and to the point. Thanks again!
For some reason I read this thread title as "root files". Must be spending too much time on Linux Smile
Yes, you must get out more Wink So must I, fed up with winter gloom, hurry up summer.

The video was about making a repeating pattern of roof tiles and extended to applying in a drawing to provide perspective. Hence the reference to the unified transform tool. You can of course use other tools, scale / rotate / perspective transform but hey....why not demo the unified transform tool.