Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rooftops/Trees/Fence. Map building.
I've been using Gimp for years but lately, I'm trying to learn some of the more complicated bits and make myself less of an idiot.  Tongue

So the present project is to build a fantasy map. 
Questions:
1. I'm trying to draw out a city full of houses from a top-down view and I'm looking for an easy way to slap down roof textures that look like they would 'flow' toward the edge of the house. 
- My best solution is to make custom roof-like brushes. I've figured out how to make animated brushes to give me nice 'roof stamps' and I think I can get that to work by taking advantage of the 'angle' property in the brush settings, but is there a quick easy way to bind a hotkey to adjust the angle via mouse scroller? It'd be hectic to pounce back and forth to adjust the angle for every little housetop.
- As said, the 'roof stamp' via animated brushes is my best solution so far, but is there a way to have something more along the lines of the clone tool so that I can seamlessly paint a repeating roof texture onto any sized area?

2. I used animated brushes to make a forest, and that works great as long as I start at the top of the forest and stamp my way down (As the trees from one stamp cover the roots of the previous stamp.) But if I just slap a new tree into my "forest" then I can see the trunk and roots of the tree when they should be hidden behind the top of the lower tree stamp.
Is there a way to take an animated brush and say, for example, "Always put 'this part' behind the layer, and 'this part' on top of the layer."?

3. How about fences, i.e. how do I make the brush that will rotate my 'fence stamp' to follow whatever silly line I draw the fence at?

Thanks a lot!  Cool

Messages In This Thread
Rooftops/Trees/Fence. Map building. - by Nicadeamas - 08-16-2019, 01:11 PM
RE: Rooftops/Trees/Fence. Map building. - by sl60 - 11-05-2019, 11:57 PM