Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rotate single letters of a text that is rotated HELP!
Hello everyone,

I am looking for a way to rotate (or shear?) single letters of a text I have rotated, but I can't find a way. The idea is to have "straight" letters even if the text has been rotated. 

I attach a picture to clarify (this is the final effect I want to achieve). Do you see how the "vertical" lines of letters (like i,l,t ecc) are still parallel to the border of the image, even if the text itself is rotated?

Thanks a lot!
EW

[Image: guarda13.png]
(01-16-2023, 03:42 PM)ernestw Wrote: Hello everyone,

I am looking for a way to rotate (or shear?) single letters of a text I have rotated, but I can't find a way. The idea is to have "straight" letters even if the text has been rotated. 

I attach a picture to clarify (this is the final effect I want to achieve). Do you see how the "vertical" lines of letters (like i,l,t ecc) are still parallel to the border of the image, even if the text itself is rotated?

Thanks a lot!
EW

The result seen in the image below was obtained using the plugin: ofn-text-along-path.py 

Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
Thanks for your reply, but what I need is something different. In my example the letters are individually "skewd" (I really don't know how to explain it with words. But you can see in my picture that the orizontal lines of the font follow the text angle, whereas the vertical lines stay vertical). With the letter t it is really clear.
(My example was done with photoshop.)
Maybe something like this

This is using another one of Ofnuts path tools - ofn-path-edits.py from http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-pat...s/scripts/  about 4 down the list at the moment.

Unzip and put in your Gimp user plugins folder C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins

Edit: oops...missed that you use linux, goes in ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins

It comes with a guide in the zip, please read it.  The part I used is 'break text path apart' which gives individual paths for each character. By linking the paths together, adjusting one path applies to all linked.

Not the best of demo's but you might get the basics from this: https://youtu.be/TemgEXv8kJI  duration 3 minutes.

(01-16-2023, 04:38 PM)ernestw Wrote: Thanks for your reply, but what I need is something different. In my example the letters are individually "skewd" (I really don't know how to explain it with words. But you can see in my picture that the orizontal lines of the font follow the text angle, whereas the vertical lines stay vertical). With the letter t it is really clear.

The mentioned script has a "keep-upright" option...
(01-16-2023, 04:38 PM)ernestw Wrote: Thanks for your reply, but what I need is something different. In my example the letters are individually "skewd" (I really don't know how to explain it with words. But you can see in my picture that the orizontal lines of the font follow the text angle, whereas the vertical lines stay vertical). With the letter t it is really clear.

Possibly I am not understanding well the question raised or my previous example was not clear.

But I believe you want an alignment where the verticality of the letters remains unchanged.

Another example, using the same plugin.

Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
but the OP says

Quote:....But you can see in my picture that the horizontal lines of the font follow the text angle, whereas the vertical lines stay vertical....
Thanks a lot! I am going to try the plugin.

@krikor : in your example all the letters are fully rotated, whereas in mine (and in @rich200 ) only the vertical "parts" of the fonts are adjusted. Sorry, it is very hard to explain it with words : ) Thanks anyway!
Use the ofn-bend-path plugin.

Available from here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-pa...s/scripts/

More info here:

https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-ofn-bend-path

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Maybe just apply the shear tool to a path obtained from the text layer

Create the text

Layer > Text to path

Apply Shear tool (Shear) to path (use Transform: Path)

Fill the path on new layer (or other uses of the sheared path)