Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rotating a selected part of an image
I selected a part of an image using rectangular select tool. I did shift+R to rotate the selected part. I adjusted parameters in the rotate dialog box appropriately. I chose the selection in tool option. Finally I clicked the rotate button in rotate dialog box. The result is only rotating the marching ant not the image itself. I don't understand.

To make it work, I did all things above paragraph except I chose the layer in tool option. This time the selected part of the image rotated as I adjusted in the rotate dialog box. However the rotated image is cut off the outside of originally selected area. I don't understand.

How do I resolve this issue?
Quote:I selected a part of an image using rectangular select tool. I did shift+R to rotate the selected part. I adjusted parameters in the rotate dialog box appropriately. I chose the selection in tool option. Finally I clicked the rotate button in rotate dialog box. The result is only rotating the marching ant not the image itself. I don't understand.

That did not work because making a selection defines the area of the selection not the contents. Edit -> Copy before rotating. However that might leave a nasty hole in the image.

Quote:To make it work, I did all things above paragraph except I chose the layer in tool option. This time the selected part of the image rotated as I adjusted in the rotate dialog box. However the rotated image is cut off the outside of originally selected area. I don't understand.

Much better, nearly there.
Make the selection then Edit -> Copy Edit -> Paste
That gets a floating selection layer in the layers dialogue.
Layer -> To New layer then Layer -> Layer to image size to prevent the cropping
now rotate it.
(04-29-2018, 12:56 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
Quote:I selected a part of an image using rectangular select tool. I did shift+R to rotate the selected part. I adjusted parameters in the rotate dialog box appropriately. I chose the selection in tool option. Finally I clicked the rotate button in rotate dialog box. The result is only rotating the marching ant not the image itself. I don't understand.

That did not work because making a selection defines the area of the selection not the contents. Edit -> Copy before rotating. However that might leave a nasty hole in the image.

Quote:To make it work, I did all things above paragraph except I chose the layer in tool option. This time the selected part of the image rotated as I adjusted in the rotate dialog box. However the rotated image is cut off the outside of originally selected area. I don't understand.

Much better, nearly there.
Make the selection then Edit -> Copy Edit -> Paste
That gets a floating selection layer in the layers dialogue.
Layer -> To New layer then Layer -> Layer to image size to prevent the cropping
now rotate it.

First of all, I wanted to make a quote for the reply, but it doesn't work. I don't know why.

On your method, Does this 'Layer -> to new layer' necessary? I can work on the floating layer.

Is there any quicker way to the simple rotation function?

Thanks for the reply. Have a nice day.
I do most replies off-line, in a text editor, so a quote looks like this

[Image: 9YoYuhd.jpg]

Giving your Gimp version has become even more important now that Gimp 2.10 is out.

However, there is a plugin that should work. layer-via-copy-cut.py 
Attached. Unzip pop it into your Gimp profile plug-ins folder. The linux permissions should already be set to executable but check anyway.

As the name suggests straight from a selection to a rotatable layer

[Image: MBp4WtY.jpg]

If it does not work let me know, and I will find the link to an earlier version.

Attached Files
.zip   layer-via-copy-cut.py.zip (Size: 1.84 KB / Downloads: 224)
(04-29-2018, 04:05 PM)rich2005 Wrote: I do most replies off-line, in a text editor, so a quote looks like this

[Image: 9YoYuhd.jpg]

Giving your Gimp version has become even more important now that Gimp 2.10 is out.

However, there is a plugin that should work. layer-via-copy-cut.py 
Attached. Unzip pop it into your Gimp profile plug-ins folder. The linux permissions should already be set to executable but check anyway.

As the name suggests straight from a selection to a rotatable layer

[Image: MBp4WtY.jpg]

If it does not work let me know, and I will find the link to an earlier version.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the plug-in information. But, I use ctrl+shift+L for the floating layer, which is fine for me. It is the same number of steps, so I won't bother with it. I just thought there is one step to rotate the selected part of the image. First I looked an eye on another application, but the wilber still look cute. So, I've decieded to get over it and deal with it.

You seem to be very professional on digital art. I'm happy with your advice. I presume that you are using many programs. I just stepped in drawing art with reading gimp Docs. After reading Docs what should I do? I need to prepare for the next step while reading Docs.

Have a nice day~ Smile