Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rotating and scaling layer
Good day!

I have a concern in rotating and scaling a layer, which is smaller than the canvas. Every time I scale/rotate it, a part of the layer is cut off.[Image: 2vw5y11.jpg]
rotate
[Image: 116jtkk.jpg][Image: alhvh1.jpg]
scale
[Image: 2aandyd.jpg][Image: 2i1il9v.jpg]

I believe it is possible to rotate and scale the layers without cutting some parts because I was able to do it earlier without any problems.
[Image: 5mdzsn.jpg]

I was working on the image above (red) when I accidentally clicked "crop to selection" (or was it "zealous crop"). I hit ctrl+z to undo the action. When I worked on the image again, the problem started. 

I'm sorry if this has already been discussed, but I really couldn't find anything that would help me with my concern. Most suggestions were to resize the layer, but it would really be convenient if I could do what I was doing earlier.

Thank you in advance!
Did you try
Image > Fit Canvas to Layers

and

Layer > Layer to Image Size
In addition to what Blighty said, it may also be a good idea to rotate the text as a path, instead of a raster layer, to get better quality results.

Convert the text into a path with the left click menu.

Rotate the path with the Rotate Tool in Path-Mode, then fill the selection with colour of choice.

Its an extra step, but improves quality.
@demcbi

Both correct suggestions, but you need to understand what is happening and also why it is a good idea to post a screenshot that tells the whole story.

If you select, cut and paste back in, you are constrained by the layer boundary. Anchor that and and as you found it is cut off.

[Image: a7FgxRF.jpg]

...and yes.. you can put that to a new layer where the rotated selection is sized accordingly.

[Image: oIOe9QU.jpg]

A much easier way is just rotate the layer, either as the original text or when text properties are lost. Then you can move that as a layer anywhere you want.

[Image: qICPSFM.jpg]
Thank you very much for your responses! Anchoring works well for me. Though I'm still curious why I could rotate/scale a layer without anchoring or resizing the layer earlier today. Big Grin
(11-16-2017, 01:17 PM)demcbi Wrote: Thank you very much for your responses! Anchoring works well for me. Though I'm still curious why I could rotate/scale a layer without anchoring or resizing the layer earlier today. Big Grin

It all depends if you have an active selection or not. In fact these transforms are the only case I know where "Nothing selected" doesn't behave like "Everything selected".