Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rotating the canvas
Question 
Hi,

Watching a video today I saw that the Gimp canvas was rotated while the artist worked on the image, but there was no change in the visible layer; When viewing the layer, the image remained unchanged.

But the video was of the speed art type, so without much information about what menus or tools were being used.

Is this a thing with newer versions of Gimp or versions like mine can also rotate the canvas? If yes, how?

Thanks.
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
Not sure, maybe it was View > Flip & Rotate > ....  ?
Some users, especially artists, find drawing horizontally or vertically easier than drawing at a required angle.

Using pencil and paper, easy, just skew the paper to suit.

You can do this with Gimp. On my installation the shift key + the middle mouse button (which on my mouse is pressing the scroll wheel) will click and drag and rotate the view. Not the same as a image rotate, this is virtual.

might go like this. https://i.imgur.com/wL2hTqQ.mp4
Thumbs Up 
(11-01-2023, 06:34 PM)Zero01 Wrote: Not sure, maybe it was View > Flip & Rotate > ....  ?

(11-01-2023, 07:46 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Some users, especially artists, find drawing horizontally or vertically easier than drawing at a required angle.

Using pencil and paper, easy, just skew the paper to suit.

You can do this with Gimp. On my installation the shift key + the middle mouse button (which on my mouse is pressing the scroll wheel) will click and drag and rotate the view. Not the same as a image rotate, this is virtual.

might go like this. https://i.imgur.com/wL2hTqQ.mp4

Zero01, the video was accelerated but I don't think any tools were used. At least no changes to the mouse pointer or the screen.

rich2005 I think you found the answer!
I think that must be it; I tested it here and it also worked!

Every day a new learning experience with Gimp.

Thank you gentlemen! 
==================================================================================

Here is the moment in the video where the canvas rotation occurs in Gimp.

https://youtu.be/02-Bpz1cEyY?si=IHR_RdA2BE-EoMyc&t=394
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
And Shift+1 (!, exclamation mark) to reset the canvas horizontally.
Patrice
(11-02-2023, 03:57 AM)PixLab Wrote: And Shift+1 (!, exclamation mark) to reset the canvas horizontally.

That's just '!', whatever the keyboard... There are many layouts where Shift-1 isn't a ! (and not just the AZERTY keyboard).
(11-02-2023, 08:32 AM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(11-02-2023, 03:57 AM)PixLab Wrote: And Shift+1 (!, exclamation mark) to reset the canvas horizontally.

That's just '!', whatever the keyboard... There are many layouts where Shift-1 isn't a ! (and not just the AZERTY keyboard).

You should read the full comment, or not skip what I did write between parenthesis, as I took the time to name it down and not wrote only the symbol "!".
Patrice