Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open with GIMP
Question 
Hey guys,

Using the Samj portable version since the beginning of the GIMP 2.10 version I have always started the program via a shortcut on the desktop whose destination is:
C:\Gimp-2.10.28_Portable_32-64bit-Win\GIMP_EN.exe (*)

Which is what the image below corresponds to.

I can never open GIMP any other way.

If there is, for example, an image in the Windows file manager that I want to open in GIMP and I indicate this path (*) an error window appears on the screen:

Using Scribus it is possible to choose GIMP to edit images opened in the Scribus image frame. To do this, simply enter the GIMP path in one of the program's preferences options. But if I provide the same path (*) that I use to open GIMP, the same error window appears again.  Sad

The only way I've found to open GIMP, either through Scribus or through the file manager, is to provide the following path:
C:\Gimp-2.10.28_Portable_32-64bit-Win\bin

But in this case, the GIMP that opens appears without the plugins and scripts that I use daily, and also using the operating system language (not English).   None of my customizations are present.  Dodgy

Is there any way to avoid the error screen and open GIMP using the GIMP_EN.exe option, which is the one I use and has all my settings / plugins / scripts?

Thank you in advance.
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
(05-27-2024, 07:18 PM)Krikor Wrote: ...snip...Is there any way to avoid the error screen and open GIMP using the GIMP_EN.exe option, which is the one I use and has all my settings / plugins / scripts?

I do not think your wish is possible (at least not without re-writing that launcher GIMP_EN.exe)

The launcher will set certain variables, for example, GIMP2_DIRECTORY sets the name of the personal GIMP directory. With a portable Gimp that will change. One day it might be in drive F:... or another day drive X:...

The command gimp.exe image.ext will open the image but GIMP_EN.exe does not pass on the parameter, so that does not work.

The only easy way I can see is starting portable Gimp first, then minimise it. Gimp will normally only allow a single instance, so passing an image to gimp.exe (or gimp-2-10.exe they are the same) opens the image in the minimised Gimp, which pops up.

Example using Win Explorer, just so I do not cheat, using the German launcher. https://i.imgur.com/IlStoNF.mp4 A bit quick, I had to cut bits out for imgur.
Hi rich20005,

It seems like things can't be as I would like, but you found a great alternative!  Smile

By chance when I tested, configuring Scribus, my GIMP was not open. Then came that GIMP that didn't have access to my home directory of folders, files, plugins, etc.

But as you suggested, I just need to open GIMP first, and even with Scribus reading the GIMP location in the \bin\gimp-2.10.exe folder, it actually makes use of the already opened GIMP.

Thx a lot!
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.