Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saving Templates
I must have known how to do this because I have a bunch of them.  I assumed they were saved when I exited Gimp.  But now when I make a new template or modify one the new/changed template does not come back after exiting Gimp and restarting the program.

How do I save templates in Gimp?
(11-29-2023, 10:39 PM)zeuspaul Wrote: I must have known how to do this because I have a bunch of them.  I assumed they were saved when I exited Gimp.  But now when I make a new template or modify one the new/changed template does not come back after exiting Gimp and restarting the program.

How do I save templates in Gimp?

Works for me... Templates are saved in the templaterc file in your profile. This is a plain text file that you can edit to check if your template is there (and you can check if its timestamp is coherent with the closure of your last Gimp session). I note that the last edits are at the top so if you are looking for the template in alphabetical order, you probably missed it?
@ofnuts, so they don't save in your templates list in file>new?

Smile
I save my templates in the Templates directory which is at /home/patrice/Templates this allows me with a right click inside any folder or on the Desktop to create an xcf based on the templates I have made (same for LibreOffice, and so on)

Patrice
(11-30-2023, 02:10 AM)sallyanne Wrote: @ofnuts, so they don't save in your templates list in file>new?

The templates in that list are the same that appear in Files > New. And the connection is immediate, you don't even need to save/refresh anything (they will of course remain in you  exit/restart Gimp).
Thanks, I may have been confused.  I probably made the changes before installing the latest clone which I did to uninstall 2.10.36.  I left and returned to Gimp and this time the changes stuck.

I found the file templaterc in File Explorer (actually found two).  I could tell which one is now used by the file date.

Sometimes Windows Explorer drives me nuts.  I can only find the file with a search for templaterc on the C drive.  Search says the file is in users/zeusp/AppData/Roaming/Gimp.

BUT when I look in users/zeusp I see no subdirectory called AppData.

(11-30-2023, 09:33 AM)zeuspaul Wrote: ..snip.. I found the file templaterc in File Explorer (actually found two).  I could tell which one is now used by the file date.

Sometimes Windows Explorer drives me nuts.  I can only find the file with a search for templaterc on the C drive.  Search says the file is in users/zeusp/AppData/Roaming/Gimp.

BUT when I look in users/zeusp I see no subdirectory called AppData.  

Do a search for show hidden files Windows and you should get something like this:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help...windows-10

A quick way is enter %appdata% in explorer and that should take you straight there.

The two templaterc files ? There is one in the Gimp system etc folder which is a default. It is copied to the User Profile When that is created, best to leave alone.
Using %appdata% I found templaterc where my initial search said it was!  Is there a reason Gimp hides basic files?  I hesitate changing the default location of where Gimp places files.  But if I choose to have files like the templates file visible in File Explorer without going to extraordinary means is there a way to do so?  Edit/preferences/folders? I don't see an option for templates.

(11-30-2023, 10:03 PM)zeuspaul Wrote: Using %appdata% I found templaterc where my initial search said it was!  Is there a reason Gimp hides basic files?  I hesitate changing the default location of where Gimp places files.  But if I choose to have files like the templates file visible in File Explorer without going to extraordinary means is there a way to do so?  Edit/preferences/folders? I don't see an option for templates.

zeuspaul,

You must check the "Hidden Items" box in the View window.

I hope the attached image even in another language can help you.

Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
It's been checked and seems to be holding. It seems that's all I have to do. I can now see the full (I think) directory structure and don't need to search with %appdata%. Thanks to all for the help.