Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saving to a gif format and choosing the color palette
Hello people,

I'm still running under my "old" photoshop CS6 but I plan to quit adobe because of their policy since the cloud based version....

So in photoshop when we saving a file under a Gif (for web) we have the possibility to chose witch color will remain or be deleted etc.. is their anyway to do the sane under gimp 2 ?

[Image: screenshoit.png]

Thank you
Welcome to gimp-forum.net

I think you will have to give a bit more information for us poor only-use-gimp people.

Could be:

1. Exporting as a gif which contains transparency, the 'color' of the mask depends on the background colour set in Gimp at the time. This is the same image exported when bg = black and bg = white (as shown by the thumbnails viewed in XnViewMP)

screenshot https://i.imgur.com/bvYpQ3U.jpg

2. Do you mean editing the gif colour map? To do that first change the color mode to indexed: File -> Mode -> Indexed then then open Windows -> Dockable dialogues -> ColorMap (disabled for RGB images)

screenshot https://i.imgur.com/zr9ybdK.jpg

3. or something else
(12-13-2017, 07:19 PM)SpongeBob Wrote: Hello people,

I'm still running under my "old" photoshop CS6 but I plan to quit adobe because of their policy since the cloud based version....

So in photoshop when we saving a file under a Gif (for web) we have the possibility to chose witch color will remain or be deleted etc.. is their anyway to do the sane under gimp 2 ?

[Image: screenshoit.png]

Thank you

Instead of exporting an RGB-mode image directly to GIF, you can convert t to color-indexed mode first (Image>Mode>Indexed). This gives you more control over the color reduction process, and you can provide your own colormap.
Thank you @rich2005 & @Ofnuts,

So yes I would like to edit the colormap of the output pictures.

Here a video what I was able to do under CS6

http://sendvid.com/b88mfkjs

As we can see here first I remove a blue color ( passing from 32 colors to 31 colors) then I switch one blue into orange.

So is this possible under GIMP ?
(12-14-2017, 02:54 PM)SpongeBob Wrote: So is this possible under GIMP ?

I couldn't quite make out what you were doing in the video, but I am sure it can be done in Gimp.

What you were working with is called a Colour Map in Gimp.
Windows > Dockable Dialogues > Colourmap

Then right click on a colour to bring up the edit options.

Attached Files Image(s)

@SpongeBob
If you search you might come across references to a Gimp Save-for-Web plugin. Nothing like PS. It is ancient, all it does is export in various formats and give an estimate of file size. Best forgotten.

Gimp is more hands-on than PS but it is as previous replies. For your query, A quick video demo 3 and a half minutes

(12-14-2017, 03:54 PM)Blighty Wrote:
(12-14-2017, 02:54 PM)SpongeBob Wrote: So is this possible under GIMP ?

I couldn't quite make out what you were doing in the video, but I am sure it can be done in Gimp.

What you were working with is called a Colour Map in Gimp.
Windows > Dockable Dialogues > Colourmap

Then right click on a colour to bring up the edit options.

Yeah sorry, I made the video quickly for the exemple.

Actually in GIF format the less color have the color map the less weight the image

and often I remove color who don't make any visual change and time to time a change a color to another one to have a better result.

So now thank to you guys, I can change one color to another one, but I still not be able to remove color from the color map

@Rich2005

Thank for your video !
(12-14-2017, 05:25 PM)SpongeBob Wrote: I can change one color to another one, but I still not be able to remove color from the color map

I haven't ever done what you are trying to do, so I have been playing a little. This is what I have come up with.

1) Make an item transparent.
Use selection tools and do it directly on the image. ie Edit > Clear or the Delete key.

2) Replace one colour in the image with another from the map. (ie reduce the number of colours)
2a. Use the Colour Picker tool and click on colour to be retained. Colour is highlighted in the map and HTML code is displayed lower down.
2b. Copy the HTML code
2c. Use the Colour Picker tool and click on colour to be removed. Colour is highlighted in the map. Right click and edit.
2d. Paste in the HTML code

3) Remove colours from the map. (after using 1 and 2 above)
3a. Colours > Info > Colour Cube Analysis. This will tell you how many colours there are in the image.
3b. Mode > RGB (convert image to RGB)
3c. Mode > Indexed. Use the number of colours supplied by Colour Cube Analysis. A new colour map is created.

If anyone has better methods please let us have them.

Some more info here:
https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-indexed-pa...ialog.html