Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scaling through menu keeps aspect when it's off..help pls ><
Tried to attach the file but too large oh well.. forgot how to do the compression thing. Anyway so my usual trick of scaling through the menu to get around the glitch in gimp where it sometimes deletes the picture when you scale it isn't working. The not disappearing part is working, but it refuses to obey the setting that has keep aspect off so it makes it smaller instead of narrower. Any recourse??

And yes there was plenty of room of layer boundary, and in fact since I was trying to make it narrower that isn't an issue anyway but just to be clear.. def a part of gimp that annoys but finally ran into situation where this trick doesn't work ugh!

Also, not sure if a person or general host runs this site but would be nice if the text written when you press back after it tells you request entity too large will still be there, as I needed to retype
(02-25-2020, 10:04 PM)marigolden Wrote: Tried to attach the file but too large oh well.. forgot how to do the compression thing. Anyway so my usual trick of scaling through the menu to get around the glitch in gimp where it sometimes deletes the picture when you scale it isn't working. The not disappearing part is working, but it refuses to obey the setting that has keep aspect off so it makes it smaller instead of narrower. Any recourse??

And yes there was plenty of room of layer boundary, and in fact since I was trying to make it narrower that isn't an issue anyway but just to be clear.. def a part of gimp that annoys but finally ran into situation where this trick doesn't work ugh!
Are you taking about Layer>Scale layer or Image>Scale image? In both cases you just have to click on the chain link next to the horizontal & vertical size settings, this opens the link and the two fields become independent.

(02-25-2020, 10:04 PM)marigolden Wrote: Also, not sure if a person or general host runs this site but would be nice if the text written when you press back after it tells you request entity too large will still be there, as I needed to retype
That's mostly me (but I didn't write the software). However this is a feature of your browser, I can go back and recover my text with Firefox but not with Chrome. The "Entity too large" page isn't really from the forum sofware anyway, its the "armour" around it that prevents miscreants from trying to drown/crack the server with giant uploads.
Quote:Tried to attach the file but too large oh well.. .

You can always use a file sharing site such as imgur - example layer on.

Quote:Anyway so my usual trick of scaling through the menu to get around the glitch in gimp where it sometimes deletes the picture when you scale it isn't working. The not disappearing part is working, but it refuses to obey the setting that has keep aspect off so it makes it smaller instead of narrower. Any recourse??

Not really sure what you are doing. 
A run through the scale tool (1) Where the preview can be on or off (2) and opacity adjusted  (3) to make it easier to position over another layer. Keep aspect ration (4) can be on or off.

Still a problem? Use guides to show the points you need and use them. They are visible whatever the state of the layers.

or

An old script that might help you sometime. It will scale a layer up or down to fit into a selection. But...aspect ratio is preserved. The scaled layer is centered in the selection.  example: https://i.imgur.com/2yGTQWY.jpg

Unpack the zip. Put sg-layer-fit-in-selection.scm in  C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\scripts

Attached Files
.zip   sg-layer-fit-in-selection.zip (Size: 1.21 KB / Downloads: 121)
Quote: sorry I had to tidy up this post Wink  it was doing my head in - rich -
double sorry - I deleted too much. ;Wink

Ofnuts post solved it for you 

---------------------

An old script that might help you sometime. It will scale a layer up or down to fit into a selection. But...aspect ratio is preserved. The scaled layer is centered in the selection.  example: https://i.imgur.com/2yGTQWY.jpg

Unpack the zip. Put sg-layer-fit-in-selection.scm in  C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\scripts

Thank you for this map out ღ( ´・ᴗ・` )
Pleased that you have it working for you. Stick with what you know.

There are so many ways of scaling a layer. A quick demo, two ways using the scale tool. These days with Gimp 2.10 I really like the Gimp unified transform tool but up to the user.

Using the regular scale tool. about a minute and a half.

(02-26-2020, 04:21 PM)marigolden Wrote:
Quote: sorry I had to tidy up this post Wink  it was doing my head in - rich -
double sorry - I deleted too much. ;Wink

Ofnuts post solved it for you 

---------------------

Thank you for this map out ღ( ´・ᴗ・` )

Lol I'll retype from before, basically my excitement over it making the trick work and thank you to ofnuts. And that I was doing Scale Layer by right clicking directly on the layer in the layer menu, but yes same difference as it'd be with the top menu route of Layer>Scale Layer. And mentioning that I make sure to press the chain link before entering the number, as it adjusts instantly when chained.