Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scanners and Windows 11
I am using GIMP 2.10.32 and Windows 11 22h2 and have 2+ scanning questions

Does GIMP recognise 64 bit scanner drivers?
+   If it does not will this be added in 2.99 / 3.00?

How can I use scanners with the portable version of GIMP (Create>Scanner/Camera)?
+  Create>Scanner\Camera does not bring up the scanner selection box. Can I resolve this by running Regsvr32 against the relevant gimp-scanner dll, and if so which file do I want?

Thank you.  Archiel
(01-09-2023, 07:35 PM)archiel Wrote: I am using GIMP 2.10.32 and Windows 11 22h2 and have 2+ scanning questions

Does GIMP recognise 64 bit scanner drivers?
+   If it does not will this be added in 2.99 / 3.00?

AFAIK it does... In fact the Twain interface is quite basic and is just starting a process, so the caller doesn't really need to assume anything about the twain process except that the OS is able to launch it.

(01-09-2023, 07:35 PM)archiel Wrote: How can I use scanners with the portable version of GIMP (Create>Scanner/Camera)?
+  Create>Scanner\Camera does not bring up the scanner selection box. Can I resolve this by running Regsvr32 against the relevant gimp-scanner dll, and if so which file do I want?

Also AFAIK you just need to have the adequate scanner software in the plugins directory of your Gimp profile. But "portable" versions play tricks with their profile (at least put them in non-standard places), so use the Edit > Preferences > Folders technique expounded in the linked page to fidn where this is. You can also add a directory to the list using that dialog, so instead of making a copy of your software you can perhaps add its directory to the list (but be careful if the same directory contains other executables).
There is this bug report for Gimp 2.99 https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/8547 - no working 64 bit

and this one

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/2053 A bit old but AFAIK nothing has changed.

Quote:all 32-bit Twain plug-in, even on 64-bit GIMP, on purpose because most scanner only have a 32-bit TWAIN driver (so installing the 64-bit plug-in would not see your scanner).
and
Quote:This is not a bug - 32-bit TWAIN plugin is installed intentionally, because there are only a few scanners have 64-bit TWAIN drivers, while nearly every scanner includes a 32-bit driver.

There are reservations - read the bug report.