Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anything but .XCF gets "Unknow Filetype" error
Need help!

Just installed 2.8.22.  Gimp will not recognize any graphic file type other than it's native .XCF extension. It won't open any other file type (.jpg, .gif, .png, etc), and it won't export to any other file type. In fact, no other file type extensions are even listed in the "Select filetype (by extension) menu.

I also noticed that the installation did not add a Gimp folder to the Start Menu. There is a shortcut to launch Gimp, but no folder under All Programs. It seems like there should be a Gimp program folder.

My OS is Win 7, 64-bit.

How can I fix the "unknown filetype" issue? Any help?
Use Edit>Preferences>Folders>Plugins. It should list two folders, one in your user space, and one in the Gimp installation directory. Use the file explorer to navigate to the latter. Do you see executables (EXE or DLL) called "file-{filetype}", for instance, "file-png", "file-jpeg"?
Photo 
(07-30-2017, 07:47 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Use Edit>Preferences>Folders>Plugins. It should list two folders, one in your user space, and one in the Gimp installation directory. Use the file explorer to navigate to the latter. Do you see executables (EXE or DLL) called "file-{filetype}", for instance, "file-png", "file-jpeg"?

Yes. They are .exe files... all the expected file type extensions.

[Image: gimpfiles.jpg]
You should have a Gimp menu entry on installation and a Gimp desktop shortcut only if you used the customize option.

This in a Win7 VM screenshot just for reference. http://i.imgur.com/1ji60cu.jpg

Is this a brand new Gimp installation or replacing an existing Gimp? 

There have been similar reports, often cured by disabling the Gimp profile folder C:\Users\your-name\.gimp-2.8  by renaming it ...\.gimp-2.8-bak maybe. Then restart Gimp so that it creates a new empty profile.

Gimp 2.8.22 is a lot better at searching for fonts these days but even so just let it do its thing until the opening splash completes.

Other than that, a video on installing, check it out and see if you differ anywhere,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klV_1PslFG4 only 3 and a half minutes.