Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seamless texture on A4 canvas
Hello everyone

I would like to make a seamless texture on an A4 sheet of paper so that I can print it out in several copies and combine it later. 
"Tile seamless" doesn't work, there are errors. 
The texture would a plank floor for example.
What errors?
Have you tried apply canvas or clothify under the filters/artistic menu?

(07-16-2023, 11:02 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: What errors?

This is an example of texture I'm using. It's already seamless but it's square. I need to make it A4 size (rectangle). I already did big rectangle from this texture in Blender. But when I crop it to A4 size it's not seamless. So I applied "tile seamless" in Gimp and these are the errors.

Well, your result is like somewone that used all the restpieces after sawing. I think using 'seamless', it also use the smal pieces of wood on the sides of your picture. The best thing you can do is making a big canvas and copy / paste the original picture, the wood fits nice together.

Patterns like your planks (brickwork is the same) is tileable on the vertical edges, the top and bottom finishing on a half-depth joint. One of the reason why tile seamless is not too good.

That pattern is 800 x 800 pix @ 120 ppi. There is no 'A4' size. The Gimp default A4 is 210x297 mm @ 300 ppi

You can have an 'A4' proportion, 800 x 1131 pix or if you are intending to print a size that fits the Gimp A4 is 827 x 1169 pix.

It might go like this, 
Scale to 827 x 827 pix
Resize the canvas to 827 x 1169
Duplicate the layer and move to fill in the gap (with a nice matching pattern.)

Then an A4 fill looks like this

All very straight forward until you come to print. Gimp will enforce margins and an inkjet printer usually needs a bottom margin 10 - 12 mm for a feed.  

Pattern attached.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)