Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Select tools act as move tool
I'm using GIMP 2.8.18 on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. I've been using GIMP for years and have never had a glitch. Today, I can't use the select tools. I click on one of the select tools and, instead, I get the move tool. I rebooted my machine. I tried resetting the tools to the default settings. I removed GIMP and reinstalled it but nothing has worked. Any suggestions?
Using Kubuntu 16.04 and Gimp 2.8.18 here, same as yours and as described never come across that before.

Reinstalling seldom does any good & since resetting tools does not work, try renaming your Gimp profile to ~/.gimp2.8-bak, Start Gimp to create a new default profile and see if there is a difference.

Are you using a tablet?
How many devices are listed in Windows>Dockable dialogs>Device status?

When you get the Move tool, you have the crossed-arrows icon, and the Move tool is selected in the Tools palette?

Reinstalling Gimp rarely fixes things because this doesn't reset the configuration. What can work is renaming the Gimp profile, let Gimp recreate a fresh one on restart, and they copy over the important stuff.
Please help us understand what is actually happening.

You click on the toolbar to choose a selection tool? Which one?

Does GIMP automatically switch to the Move tool? What is the exact indication that this happens? Does the tool's settings dockable dialog start showing settings for the Move tool?
1. I'm using a desktop computer.

2. Renaming the profile to force to GIMP create a new one didn't make any difference.

3. Under Windows>Dockable dialogs>Device status I see "Core Pointer".

4. In the Tools palette, the select tool is still highlighted but, instead of selecting, it moves the layer when I try to use the tool.

Okay, guys. Now I'm embarrassed. I figured out the problem. I had been repeatedly testing the problem on the same image and just now I noticed that the layer on which I was trying to use the select tool was still a floating selection (pasted layer) and had not yet been anchored. After I anchored it, everything was fine.

Thanks for jumping in to help and I apologize for wasting your time.