Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Selection -- Layer -- Manipulation
This seems so simple, and it should be.  

It's not.

Once again, I have created an (irregular) selection in Gimp.  [[It is not a square, or circle, or rectangle, or anything 'easy' to work with.]]  I cut it out with the free-select scissors.  I have the 'marching ants' to confirm that I completed the selection.

Once more, I have copied the selection (both Ctrl+C, and from the Edit menu).  Once more, I have attempted to paste the selection into a new layer.  Once more I have created the Floating Selection.  Once more, I have attempted to anchor the Floating Selection into a new layer.

It simply does not work.

I've seen and read maybe a dozen tutorials on this.  I have followed to the letter the steps illustrated or described in the tutorials, over and over.  

I always wind up with one of two results:

(1) An 'empty' selection in the new layer -- the 'marching ants' outline is there, but the content inside them is not.  Or,

(2) A visible selection which cannot be operated upon, or moved, or manipulated in any way.

Is it possible for someone, anyone to provide ONE (or two) method, which will (1) successfully paste the selection onto a new layer, and (2) allow me to work on that selection in the new layer?  Something that will work at least 80% of the time?

If I sound frustrated, it is because I am.  I apologize if that comes through.  

I'm merely seeking something that works, and something that is (mainly) reliable.

I thank everyone in advance for their answers, and for their patience with me.  It is appreciated.

-- Tyler Rupp
They all work 100% of the time

Make the selection then Edit -> Copy then
Edit -> Paste as -> New Layer (or New layer in place if that is required)
Gives you a new layer called pasted layer. If you have not already turned the selection off, turn it off.

You might want to increase the size of that layer to the canvas size use: Layer -> Layer to Image size
"(1) An 'empty' selection in the new layer -- the 'marching ants' outline is there, but the content inside them is not."

This often happens to me if I do not have the correct layer highlighted when doing my selection.