Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Selection Tool Glitch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEVxoCpTPw4

In the video link above, I demonstrate a glitch I've found with the selection tools.

The first canvas is a 1920x1080 px canvas, which works perfectly fine. I then open a 17x11 in. canvas (for some reason the file menu doesn't show up on the recording), and I get this weird blacking out effect when I try and use the selection tools. 

This happens on any canvas besides the default 1920x1080 px canvas. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?
That link doesn't work for me.

For info, Gimp works in pixels.
17x11 @ 300dpi will be
(17x300)x(11x300) pixels
5100 x 3300 pixels
(07-07-2018, 06:24 AM)Blighty Wrote: That link doesn't work for me.

For info, Gimp works in pixels.
17x11 @ 300dpi will be
(17x300)x(11x300) pixels
5100 x 3300 pixels

Sorry, I accidentally had the video on private instead of unlisted. I've changed it so you should be able to see it now.
I have no idea what is happening there.

Hopefully someone can assist. But please give more info.
What version of Windows? 32 bit or 64 bit.
What version of Gimp. You say 2.12, guess you mean 2.10.2
Where did you download Gimp from?
I do not think the video shows the full story, no layers, no keystrokes.

The first one is mis-use of the the selection mode. The rectangle select tool is in union mode.

[Image: ZMfzWyn.jpg]

The second one is more debatable, Ellipse select tool and it is in replace mode but the bounding box is still there, selection not finalised. Somehow inverted because it looks like the selection is being stroked (or maybe eroded) (several times?) which now includes the boundary of the layer. Also looks like more than one layer. Shows a break inside the ellipse tool.

[Image: qt4wf1i.jpg]

One of the differences between Gimp 2.8 and 2.10 is completion of a selection, generally hit enter or select another tool to finalize.
Another problem is that the rulers are completely mangled.

Have you run a RAM test lately?
(07-08-2018, 11:07 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Another problem is that the rulers are completely mangled.

Have you run a RAM test lately?

No I haven't. I'm not sure what that is but I can research it. I'm using the Lenovo yoga 720 15ikb, it has 16gb of RAM.
(07-07-2018, 07:58 AM)rich2005 Wrote: I do not think the video shows the full story, no layers, no keystrokes.

The first one is mis-use of the the selection mode. The rectangle select tool is in union mode.

[Image: ZMfzWyn.jpg]

The second one is more debatable, Ellipse select tool and it is in replace mode but the bounding box is still there, selection not finalised. Somehow inverted because it looks like the selection is being stroked (or maybe eroded) (several times?) which now includes the boundary of the layer. Also looks like more than one layer. Shows a break inside the ellipse tool.

[Image: qt4wf1i.jpg]

One of the differences between Gimp 2.8 and 2.10 is completion of a selection, generally hit enter or select another tool to finalize.
What do any of the things you listed mean with regard to the blacking out effect? 

Also, how could I show you the 'full story?'

I apologize for being very new to this program and any sort of graphic design.

(07-07-2018, 07:06 AM)Blighty Wrote: I have no idea what is happening there.

Hopefully someone can assist. But please give more info.
What version of Windows? 32 bit or 64 bit.
What version of Gimp. You say 2.12, guess you mean 2.10.2
Where did you download Gimp from?

I'm using 64 bit Windows, 

GIMP 2.10.2, 

And I downloaded GIMP from https://www.gimp.org/downloads/   - I did the direct download and not the bit torrent.
Quote:I apologize for being very new to this program and any sort of graphic design.

No need to apologise, Gimp has a steep learning curve.

Quote:What do any of the things you listed mean with regard to the blacking out effect?

That is where the unknown-unknowns come in. What is happening outside the confines of the video. Are you using any keyboard shortcuts? How many layers are in the image and which layer is active? Are you using a graphics tablet?

Quote:Also, how could I show you the 'full story?'

It might not be possible. I recall something similar but I think it was a MAC Gimp and was tied into the screen display. Does your computer have a HD display or dual monitors? What the video shows does not normally spontaneously occur, so very specific to you.

What I see: You draw some lines. Make an elliptical selection. The selection is not finalised.
Then what.... ?