Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Selection to Neon plug-in, create 80s light saber effect
Just wanted to mention that I created a "Selection to Neon" plug-in to turn a selection into a neon effect.
Easy to create light saber or 80s cartoon laser effects

You can download it here:
https://github.com/BdR76/selection-to-neon/
Your install instructions should point to the home folder of the user to install it.
so:

~/.config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins would be the place on Linux
C:\Users\USERNAME\Appdata\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins on Windows
(01-18-2022, 10:55 PM)BdR76 Wrote: Just wanted to mention that I created a "Selection to Neon" plug-in to turn a selection into a neon effect.

Good work , can i know how much time that can take to create a plugin and if that is too dificult ?
(01-20-2022, 02:32 PM)CodeScooper Wrote:
(01-18-2022, 10:55 PM)BdR76 Wrote: Just wanted to mention that I created a "Selection to Neon" plug-in to turn a selection into a neon effect.

Good work , can i know how much time that can take to create a plugin and if that is too dificult ?

Depends a lot on the complexity and your coding skills, and how user-proof you want the thing to be. You can cook up a script for you small focused problem in 10 minutes, but making that a publishable script requires some thought about the bad cases, testing, documentation...
(01-19-2022, 03:45 PM)nelo Wrote: Your install instructions should point to the home folder of the user to install it.

Thanks for mentioning, I've updated the install instructions

(01-20-2022, 02:32 PM)CodeScooper Wrote: Good work , can i know how much time that can take to create a plugin and if that is too dificult ?

Completing the neon plug-in took about one day I'd say, so 8 hours. You need some knowledge of Python.

Writing a GIMP Python plug-in is harder than just working with Python imho. Because you also need to know some things about the GIMP api. Unfortunately the GIMP python documentation is kind of old and bare bones. Also, debugging in GIMP can be difficult, because when it crashes there usually is no clear error message and using pdb.gimp_message('test123') is itself kinda buggy. So I usually test things like string maniputlation, image calculations etc just in Python IDLE first, when it works then test it in GIMP.
(05-29-2022, 03:02 PM)BdR76 Wrote:
(01-19-2022, 03:45 PM)nelo Wrote: Your install instructions should point to the home folder of the user to install it.

Thanks for mentioning, I've updated the install instructions

(01-20-2022, 02:32 PM)CodeScooper Wrote: Good work , can i know how much time that can take to create a plugin and if that is too dificult ?

Completing the neon plug-in took about one day I'd say, so 8 hours. You need some knowledge of Python.

Writing a GIMP Python plug-in is harder than just working with Python imho. Because you also need to know some things about the GIMP api. Unfortunately the GIMP python documentation is kind of old and bare bones. Also, debugging in GIMP can be difficult, because when it crashes there usually is no clear error message and using pdb.gimp_message('test123') is itself kinda buggy. So I usually test things like string maniputlation, image calculations etc just in Python IDLE first, when it works then test it in GIMP.

See Debugging python-fu scripts in Windows

This said, independent testing of the complex bits beforehand is always a good idea.