Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clone problem cant select
instead of a circle I'm getting a cross so cant select the part of the pic I want to clone . Have hit the Ctrl key and no good . Also when I open a new pic it goes straight to clone. Have even uninstalled and reinstalled
In the Clone tool you first have to Control-click to define the source of the clone.

Otherwise attach a screenshot?

Uninstalling/installing rarely fixes things, because Gimp keeps you settings across installations. To always start with the same tools/settings, see Managing tool options and window positions .
Sounds like you have a 'cross' brush selected? Make sure the brush you select is a round one
Edit - whatever brush you use you will get a cross in the centre of the shape of the brush to show you where the centre of that is.

Smile
I recall something similar when using the clone tool. It's been a year or so and I don't remember the details.

My clone tool started looking like *+* not centered in the tool and did not work as it should.

I don't recall ever finding a fix. Eventually after perhaps opening and closing Gimp and maybe after a computer boot it eventually *fixed itself*. Over the past few years I have encountered the clone issue a few times.
ok seem to have fixed it but not sure how .
Did try to post a photo of what was wrong here but couldn't work out how to do it

(03-29-2023, 06:55 AM)zeuspaul Wrote: I recall something similar when using the clone tool.  It's been a year or so and I don't remember the details.

My clone tool started looking like *+* not centered in the tool and did not work as it should.

I don't recall ever finding a fix.  Eventually after perhaps opening and closing Gimp and maybe after a computer boot it eventually *fixed itself*.  Over the past few years I have encountered the clone issue a few times.

Sounds very similar to what was happening , had the + but no circle around it
All sorts of things can happen, but only from the user.

Edit -> Preferences -> Image -> Windows -> Mouse Pointers and the Brush outline off.

Depends on the size of the brush and the image zoom level

An empty clipboard brush.

Having a brush dynamic in force

Holding the CTRL key down by accident (even a stuck ctrl key or a stuck graphics pad )

a 30 second demo https://i.imgur.com/oJBUD6f.mp4
To add to @Rich2005 post, an over sized brush will also look like this behavior.

A simple Ctrl+C and the clipboard selected you got your "brush" at 1024px, you got an over sized brush thus that cross without the "brush" shape visible (because you're zoomed in) and not working as expected.

a 50 second video with 2 examples > https://imgur.com/Sls6fRe
Gimp used to work as described in the manual but after upgrading it refuses to select the source point in the current image.

I found a fix that works. 

I'm using Gimp 2.10.24 but it may work on other versions.

Instead of using Ctrl+click to select the source in the present image you use Ctrl+Alt+click.

Presumably this problem is a bug that crept in during a software edit.

John G