Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Creating Template
hey guys, 
I know that it is possible to create templates for GIMP projects. I make sure that when I create it the fill with section says "fill with transparency". however when i use the template the canvas is filled with white. Is it possible to fix this problem? Thanks!
What format are you saving / exporting your template? If it is jpeg then that does not support transparency.

Save the template as a Gimp xcf file. If you still have problems. make a base layer then add a transpent layer. Gimp.xcf keeps layers / guides / masks / paths / active selections all in the file.
(10-02-2020, 06:39 PM)LitGuyHJB Wrote: hey guys, 
I know that it is possible to create templates for GIMP projects. I make sure that when I create it the fill with section says "fill with transparency". however when i use the template the canvas is filled with white. Is it possible to fix this problem? Thanks!

A short video, just 2:58 minutes. ---➤     gimp templates
@ LitGuyHJB
My misunderstanding.

A project template is usually a multi-layer gimp .xcf (or a PS psd file) complete with guides / masks etc.

The File -> Create Template as noted does not retain transparency. What you get is "fill-with-background" and if that is white it is what you get.

Is it a bug? It is the same with Gimp 2.10 & Gimp 2.8 so it has been that way for some time.

What you can do is go into your gimp profile: C:\Users\"yourname"\.gimp-2.8 and edit the file templaterc as

It is a text file and you need a better text editor than Windows provides. Try notepad++  https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

edit: totally forgot about that old video Wink Thanks Krikor
Quote:edit: totally forgot about that old video [Image: wink.png] Thanks Krikor

Rich2005, the video is very current indeed!

There were several occasions when I changed my version of Gimp and had to create templates with transparent backgrounds from scratch again, and I never remembered how I had done this before.  Blush
Fortunately there was this video!  Big Grin
I think that now after so many versions installed (2.10.01 to 2.10.21) I have finally memorized how to do this without resorting to the video.
Rich2005, thank you very much for this video!