Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
smart quotes WRONG/unavailable
Hi there,

I'm using a font I bought and installed in GIMP 2.10. Generally it's working fine, EXCEPT only "closing" smart quotes are displayed. At the beginning of each set of smart quotes in the text, the smart quotes point in the wrong direction! I checked the font library and the correct smart quotes are def. included in the font, it's just that GIMP doesn't seem to see them or something. See pic below. Halp?

Thanks!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(11-27-2022, 03:41 PM)mcsugarfree Wrote: Hi there,

I'm using a font I bought and installed in GIMP 2.10. Generally it's working fine, EXCEPT only "closing" smart quotes are displayed. At the beginning of each set of smart quotes in the text, the smart quotes point in the wrong direction! I checked the font library and the correct smart quotes are def. included in the font, it's just that GIMP doesn't seem to see them or something. See pic below. Halp?

Thanks!

There are no "smart quotes". "Smartness" is in the word processor that replaces your keyboard plain double quotes (actually a "QUOTATION MARK" in the Unicode description) (ASCII 0x22, U+0022) by the adequate character (in French these are replaced by "guillemets": «»)(*). Unicode defines:
  • "LEFT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK" (U+201C): >
  • "RIGHT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARKS" (U+202C): ><
If you enter them as such in Gimp (for instance, copy/paste the character above) they should work (text in Gimp is Unicode), which is how I generated this image:

PS: same thing  for single quotes: your keyboard "APOSTROPHE" (ASCII 0x27, U+0027) is replaced by one of "LEFT/RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK" (U+2018, U+2019): ><,><

(*) Limited smartness, as you find out when you are writing slides for a programming language course....
This just the practicalities. In linux shift-ctrl-u followed by the Unicode 201C / 201D gives the smart quote symbols. Note the capital C / D - not lower case.

I suppose, but do not know, that for a Mac shift-cmd-u is the equivalent.

Now a strange one for my kubuntu 20.04 installation of Gimp 2.10.32 While shift-ctrl-u works the command string in the Gimp text box does not show.

Anyone out there can confirm ? Maybe flatpak or other distro than kubuntu. It has happened before and the devs did fix it.

As an example of how it should work, this 30 second animation using an older Gimp 2.10 appimage

https://i.imgur.com/kDilQNZ.mp4

Caveat: Not all fonts have curly quote characters
(11-27-2022, 05:59 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Now a strange one for my linux installation of Gimp 2.10.32 While shift-ctrl-u works the command string in the Gimp text box does not show.

Anyone out there can confirm ? Maybe flatpak or other distro than kubuntu. It has happened before and the devs did fix it.

I use kcharselect. Nice little application. You can even bookmark the characters that you use often.

(11-27-2022, 06:04 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: I use kcharselect. Nice little application. You can even bookmark the characters that you use often.

Yes, I have that one as well Wink
Years ago I used to get roped in occasionally to teach construction in Aramco. Regular instructors used to last 4 or 5 months before quitting.

Slides for lectures Wink Have the students driven you crazy yet ?
Reprise: Problem with shift-ctrl-u indicator not showing.

Works as expected Win10 Gimp 2.10.32 so might just be my linux / Gimp from PPA

Might have to live with it.
(11-27-2022, 04:52 PM)Ofnuts, thanks for the reply. When I copy and paste (U+201C) or just the symbol that appears between > and < I do not get the symbol I need. See attached screenshot. Apparently there\s supposed to be some way to enter unicodes into the GIMP text box, but I haven't been able to get that to work (and since about 1 of every 9 things doesn't work properly in GIMP, so I can't tell whether I'm not doing it right or this is just one of the nine...).  Thanks again. Wrote:
(11-27-2022, 03:41 PM)mcsugarfree Wrote: Hi there,

Thanks!

There are no "smart quotes". "Smartness" is in the word processor that replaces your keyboard plain double quotes (actually a  "QUOTATION MARK" in the Unicode description) (ASCII 0x22, U+0022) by the adequate character (in French these are replaced by "guillemets": «»)(*). Unicode defines:
  • "LEFT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK" (U+201C): >
  • "RIGHT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARKS" (U+202C): ><
If you enter them as such in Gimp (for instance, copy/paste the character above) they should work (text in Gimp is Unicode), which is how I generated this image:

PS: same thing  for single quotes: your keyboard "APOSTROPHE" (ASCII 0x27, U+0027) is replaced by one of "LEFT/RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK" (U+2018, U+2019): ><,><

(*) Limited smartness, as you find out when you are writing slides for a programming language course....

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

U+xxxx is the standard Unicode notation when you want to unambiguously talk about a specific character that may or may not be displayable by your readers (lack of proper fonts...). Call it the character's serial number... It also allow you to [utl=https://unicodeplus.com/U+201C]find information about that given character|/url]. But it won't be replaced by the character itself in text applications. 

In modern OSes (Windows, Linux, OSX) the clipboard will contain unicode characters so that you can copy:paste unicode text between applications (you can even copy/paste emojis these days...)

What I want to see is the screenshot when you copy-paste the <>. Wha you can try also is use your "smart quotes" in your word processor and then copy-paste the text from the WP to Gimp.

Otherwise what font is this and what are the character codes for your "smart quotes"?
Thanks for this. Copying from the clipboard was what I needed. There is a frustrating bug in my version of GIMP (2.10) wherein I can't copy text from within GIMP and then paste it within GIMP (so, if i'm working in a text box and need another instance of some complex phrase I've already typed [say, with a bunch of diacritics--the diacritic functionality of my MacOS keyboard doesn't work in GIMP for whatever reason], I can't copy it and paste it within GIMP, I have to copy it from GIMP, paste it into a non-GIMP app [like TextEdit], and then copy it from there and paste it back into GIMP). The long and short of it is that I think I was "importing" the wrong characters _from_ GIMP into my text editor, and then confused why they weren't magically the "right" characters when I pasted them back into GIMP (if that makes sense...). Thanks again.

U+xxxx is the standard Unicode notation when you want to unambiguously talk about a specific character that may or may not be displayable by your readers (lack of proper fonts...). Call it the character's serial number... It also allow you to [utl=https://unicodeplus.com/U+201C]find information about that given character|/url]. But it won't be replaced by the character itself in text applications. 

In modern OSes (Windows, Linux, OSX) the clipboard will contain unicode characters so that you can copy:paste unicode text between applications (you can even copy/paste emojis these days...)

What I want to see is the screenshot when you copy-paste the <>. Wha you can try also is use your "smart quotes" in your word processor and then copy-paste the text from the WP to Gimp.

Otherwise what font is this and what are the character codes for your "smart quotes"?