Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weird font issue
Not worth arguing about, If it is not in Sorts Mill Goudy, then it is not in.

All I pointed out is

1. The character code for that IPA extension is 0293
2. The character with that code, 0293 in Sorts Mill Goudy looks like this.

[Image: 5jcGQGE.jpg]
(10-10-2018, 02:55 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Not worth arguing about, If it is not in Sorts Mill Goudy, then it is not in.

All I pointed out is

1. The character code for that IPA extension is 0293
2. The character with that code, 0293 in Sorts Mill Goudy looks like this.

[Image: 5jcGQGE.jpg]

Please: can we agree that in Sort Mills Goudy are present the unpopulated slots for the IPA Extensions? I mean that, though the slots are probably there, Sort Mills Goudy doesn't provide glyphs for them. At least the one I've got (version 003.001) doesn't, and this attachment 

should show that the glyph appearing for HEX 0293 ʓ under Sort Mills Goudy is just the same as that for other three fonts, all lacking that unicode group. In fact, in my font viewer, it appears everywhere among  true type/open type fonts, barring Andale Mono IPA, Webdings, Windings, and those fonts which provide their own different glyphs.
Yep, the person to ask is the one who made the font

Copyright © 2010, Barry Schwartz (chemoelectric@chemoelectric.org)
(10-10-2018, 03:56 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Yep, the person to ask is the one who made the font

Copyright © 2010, Barry Schwartz (chemoelectric@chemoelectric.org)

It has just ocurred to me that IPA Extensions may be an exception among other unicode sets, by being just ... extensions--i.e., characters that every font should render, whether or not it provides its own glyphs for them. That would explain apparent inconsistencies: my fontviewer would show nothing in that range, while others would show the... replacements (straight, like Standard for missing font in Gimp, or through a virtual font or something?) that the font will output in that place. Some of my fonts are quite old (1997, from an old Word CD) and they show the same ʓ in the font preview...
I was looking here https://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/wells/ipa-unicode.htm for IPA recommended fonts.

and the one or two SIL are very comprehensive. Gentium(SIL) is nothing like the Gentium I have in my archive, a great big file.

In the mean time and proving that I am easily diverted, attached a 'tweaked' SortsMillsGoudy-Regular

Not too sure of the IPA character offsets, might be ok.

Attached Files
.zip   SortsMillGoudy-Regular.otf.zip (Size: 157.35 KB / Downloads: 112)
(10-10-2018, 06:28 PM)rich2005 Wrote: I was looking here https://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/wells/ipa-unicode.htm for IPA recommended fonts.

and the one or two SIL are very comprehensive. Gentium(SIL) is nothing like the Gentium I have in my archive, a great big file.

In the mean time and proving that I am easily diverted, attached a 'tweaked' SortsMillsGoudy-Regular

Not too sure of the IPA character offsets, might be ok.

Wov! At least, they match the font. Thanks!