Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shift-S to resize not working
Downloaded updates to Gimp yesterday. The Shift-S resizing doesn't work.
I get no corners on the image to resize it. Find it hard to believe this is a bug
but can't figure out what preferences/buttons I pushed to change this 
function that I never had problems with in the past. Any help would
be appreciated.
See the menu entry Tools > Transform tools > Scale (this is another way to start the tool). It should show Shift-S as a shortcut. This also lets you check that it is enabled. Maybe it is disabled because the target is not scalable (channel, mask...).

If the shortcut is not set, you can restore it using Edit > Keyboard shortcuts:

(03-24-2024, 06:32 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: See the menu entry Tools > Transform tools > Scale (this is another way to start the tool). It should show Shift-S as a shortcut. This also lets you check that it is enabled. Maybe it is disabled because the target is not scalable (channel, mask...).

If the shortcut is not set, you can restore it using Edit > Keyboard shortcuts:

Thanks for the reply. The scale shortcut is enabled. It shows up under the Transform Tools
and it was enabled under the keyboard shortcuts too.
I opened up a different picture that I had worked on before where I know the Shift-S 
worked in the past but Shift-S didn't work on it either.

Is there something wrong with these settings

Attached Files Image(s)

So, what happens when you use Tools > Transform Scale instead of the shortcut? Of even if you select the tool in the toolbox? Do you get the pointer icon for the scale tool? Or it is still the one for the previous tool?

Oh, and you have to click on the canvas to make the tool corner handles appear... Just starting the tool is not enough.
[attachment=11543 Wrote:Ofnuts pid='38549' dateline='1711325829']     So, what happens when you use Tools > Transform Scale instead of the shortcut? Of even if you select the tool in the toolbox? Do you get the pointer icon for the scale tool? Or it is still the one for the previous tool?

Oh, and you have to click on the canvas to make the tool corner handles appear... Just starting the tool is not enough.

I get the same results using Tools>Transform Scale as the shortcut. I do get the pointer icon for the scale tool.
I'm not sure the problem is with the Scale tool because I also get a different result when using the "Fit Canvas to Layers". I'll download some screenshots to explain.

Example 1: I loaded a picture, opened the Tool>Transform Tool and reduced the scale.(1b)
After pushing the scale button, the picture is instead cropped and the scale increased to 
fit the canvas of the original picture. (1c). I then used the Image>Fit Canvas to Layers command
and a bigger version of the original picture is produced.

Thank you for your help, time and effort. I've been using gimp for over a decade and never had any problems with it. I have deleted and reinstalled gimp several times over the past two days with no change.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(03-25-2024, 02:56 AM)buzzie44 Wrote: I get the same results using Tools>Transform Scale as the shortcut. I do get the pointer icon for the scale tool.
I'm not sure the problem is with the Scale tool because I also get a different result when using the "Fit Canvas to Layers". I'll download some screenshots to explain.

Example 1: I loaded a picture, opened the Tool>Transform Tool and reduced the scale.(1b)
After pushing the scale button, the picture is instead cropped and the scale increased to 
fit the canvas of the original picture. (1c). I then used the Image>Fit Canvas to Layers command

Only one screenshot so guessing.

Look like your scale tool is in "Corrective" direction. Set it to "Normal" mode.

You can make Gimp always start with a know set of options, to avoid getting confused because you have strange settings lingering from previous sessions. See Managing tool options and window positions
(03-25-2024, 08:26 AM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(03-25-2024, 02:56 AM)buzzie44 Wrote: I get the same results using Tools>Transform Scale as the shortcut. I do get the pointer icon for the scale tool.

Only one screenshot so guessing.

Look like your scale tool is in "Corrective" direction. Set it to "Normal" mode.

You can make Gimp always start with a know set of options, to avoid getting confused because you have strange settings lingering from previous sessions. See Managing tool options and window positions

I changed to Normal mode and reset the tool options to the default values. After restarting, I still have a problem with scale but the above changes did create different results. When I have time later, I'll take screenshots of the changes and post. Thanks.