Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to superimpose a small image onto a photo?
When developing photos I commonly add text using GIMP.  It looks to me like this results in adding a new layer that is just large enough to hold the text (i.e., quite small in relation to the image/canvas/layer size for the photo).  Then the Move Tool can be used (easily) to reposition the text (? layer).  I'd like to be able to the same thing with a small image (e.g., like on ICON).  However, I have NOT had much luck figuring out how to do it.  If this is possible HOW?

Also, in the case of text you can change the size by adjusting the size of the font.  While that would NOT apply in the case of an image it is still desired to be able to adjust the size of such an image, while previewing it in relation to the main image (photo), without affecting anything else.  If that's possible I could use some help figuring out how.
Much the same as text, except you need to open the "logo" image as a new layer File -> Open As Layers

You can move this with the move tool, and scale with the Scale Tool. I advise using the Unified Transform Tool where you can do all everything as a single operation . This avoids some degradation from repeated transformations.

example: https://i.imgur.com/ulpfRYO.mp4
Using free select trace what you want. Then Ctrl C and Ctrl V (copy and paste) the selection. It will show up as a floating layer. You can then scale, rotate, flip, move the floating layer. Then after moving click outside the selection to merge the floating layer or merge visible layers. Make sure the move tool is engaged before trying to move. I use this often in lieu of cloning because I can clone more detailed shapes. And sometimes cloning doesn't seem to get an exact duplicate of the area I want to clone.

When using this procedure for cloning first I trace the area that I want to fix. Then with move engaged I Ctrl Alt move the selection to the area I want to use as the fix. Ctrl Alt move moves just the selection line without cutting the underlying selection. Then Ctrl C Ctrl Z (to copy then move the selection back) then Ctrl V to paste in the preferred area. Then merge into the image.
(12-21-2021, 03:43 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Much the same as text, except you need to open the "logo" image as a new layer File -> Open As Layers

Yes!  Very nice and similarly simple.  It looks like I simply knew nothing about "Open As Layer" but that is exactly what I had imagined should be possible.

Many thanks!

(12-21-2021, 10:29 PM)zeuspaul Wrote: Using free select trace what you want.  ...

Looks to me like like that is a solution for a different problem but thank you for responding.