Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drop Shadow (GEGL) not working
Really excited about the new GIMP!

I cannot seem to get the new Drop Shadow (Filters > Light and Shadow  > Drop Shadow...) to work.
Legacy works fine but Drop Shadow (GEGL) produces nothing. What am I doing wrong?

Win10 (10.0.14393) 64bit
Gimp 2.10.2

see screencast
Unfortunately, your screenshot does not give enough information. You need something like this

edit: OK, had to wget your gif animation. No good using a selection, the GEGL dropshadow works on a transparent layer.

[Image: IjYKMpa.jpg]

There have been a couple of posts about the GEGL drop shadow recently

This one gives the basics https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-GIMP-2...59#pid8559
Hi Rich2005,
I noticed I had to add a transparancy layer otherwise the menuitem is disabled.
In the screencast a transparancy layer is present. Nonetheless, how do I get it to draw?
The other example is unclear to me (btw. I run Win10, not Ubuntu)
(excuse my ignorance, I would not bother this forum but I guess the legacy Drop Shadow will be obsolete and removed in a future release)
(06-09-2018, 03:41 PM)AWRog Wrote: Hi Rich2005,
I noticed I had to add a transparancy layer otherwise the menuitem is disabled.
In the screencast a transparancy layer is present. Nonetheless, how do I get it to draw?
The other example is unclear to me (btw. I run Win10, not Ubuntu)
(excuse my ignorance, I would not bother this forum but I guess the legacy Drop Shadow will be obsolete and removed in a future release)

Not clear from your animation since the layers dialogue is not shown.

You need to create your drawing on a transparent layer, not a solid (white) layer. The problem is you are making a selection. Try the GEGL filter without a selection.

In this case, there is no difference between Windows and linux

There is no indication that the legacy drop shadow will go. Keep using it as long as it is there. The advantage of the GEGL filter is you see exactly what the drop shadow looks like before it is applied.
Thanks, Il'l keep using the legacy one.
I guess new tutorials will eventually appear on youtube, explaining exactly how to use this.
Beats me why you need a video to explain that.

However I am sure one will appear sometime.

OK here is one.

video url https://youtu.be/GsTC-KPFI6s  1 minute no audio
That worked, Thanks!