Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shower-inspired of the day
How hard would it be to emulate the tiling in the shower (small tiles all of roughly, but not exactly, the same color)? It turned out it also required a script Smile

Without the script, not bad, but the tiles are uniformly colored (layer with base color, and 40x40 pixellated plasma over it, in "soft light" mode):

With a script to shuffle tiles, instead of pixellating the plasma, I blur it and shuffle it:

Im working on something similar (yet different) at the moment, but for Inkscape  Big Grin

How did you get the plasma in your desired colours ?

I can produce something like this in Gimp with the Plasma2 plug-in, setting the pixelated gray-to-white plasma to 'Value' on top of a pinkish layer.

....and something better in Inkscape with tiled clones

(11-28-2017, 04:35 PM)Espermaschine Wrote: Im working on something similar at the moment, but for Inkscape  Big Grin

How did you get the plasma in your desired colours ?

I can produce something like this in Gimp with the Plasma2 plug-in, setting the pixelated gray-to-white plasma to 'Value' on top of a pinkish layer.

....and something better in Inkscape with tiled clones

That's where the magic is. I use a background layer filled with the average color, and add a plasma layer in "soft light" mode. By setting the opacity of that layer, I can even tune the amount of color variation.
Another fun outcome:
  • Diagonal(*) black to white gradient
  • Shuffle tiles 10x10
  • Gaussian blur 5x5
  • Re-shuffle 10x10

(*) making the gradient diagonal instead of vertical/horizontal reduces the number of squares with extreme values
(11-28-2017, 05:02 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: That's where the magic is. I use a background layer filled with the average color, and add a plasma layer in "soft light" mode. By setting the opacity of that layer, I can even tune the amount of color variation.

Mine still doesnt come out as nice as yours...

(11-28-2017, 05:06 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: Shuffle tiles 10x10

so Shuffle is where your new script comes in ?
(11-28-2017, 05:12 PM)Espermaschine Wrote:
(11-28-2017, 05:02 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: That's where the magic is. I use a background layer filled with the average color, and add a plasma layer in "soft light" mode. By setting the opacity of that layer, I can even tune the amount of color variation.

Mine still doesnt come out as nice as yours...

(11-28-2017, 05:06 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: Shuffle tiles 10x10

so Shuffle is where your new script comes in ?

Exactly, instead of pixellating, I use the script to shuffle a blurred plasma. So visually I get squares because there is no visual continuity between tiles, but each tile has a slight variation. I wrote a script, but there is likely some GMIC filter (there is always a GMIC filter).... Found it: Array&Tiles>Taquin.

For the pixellated version I also made sure that the plasma was very turbulent to ensure that neighboring tiles would get a sufficiently different color.
(11-28-2017, 05:39 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: I wrote a script, but there is likely some GMIC filter (there is always a GMIC filter).... Found it: Array&Tiles>Taquin.

I had a quick look at G'MIC as well (Tiled Parameterization) but the result is kind of....strong.... (and ugly).
'Tarquin' doesnt seem to produce the same results you got, for me....

Technically your result deserves another script. What i wonder is, what do you do with it, besides making bathroomfloors ?
I have seen a lot of nice patterns on the web, all technical marvels of graphic design programs, but i have no idea what to do with them, except maybe a wallpaper for your desktop.

How a about a nice glitter texture as here ?:
https://design.tutsplus.com/tutorials/cr...-cms-22430
Last ones...

(another shuffle+blur+shuffle, starting with the Full Sat gradient, desaturated a bit.

Piet Mondrian would have loved this tool.Smile
Mondrian's squares aren't square. His whole art is about the proper ratio of the sides Smile