Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Silhouette with transparent Background help!
Hi,

I have started using the software and have managed to create silhouettes from three images, I want to place them on a beach scenes, however the background of the silhouette images are white, is there an option to have them transparent so I just get the silhouette and no background?

Hopefully I've explained what I'm trying to do clearly ?
Several things that you have not explained.

Is it a RGB image or Indexed (Image > Mode)

Are you working only in Gimp? Or are you exporting to jpg and then using the jpg on the beach scene? (jpg does not support transparency)

When you created the silhouette did you create it with a transparent background? Or is a pure black and white silhouette, white background and black image?

If pure black and white silhouette and RGB it is easy.
(Colours > Colour to Alpha). Accept the default white.
A non-destructive way is to create a layer mask, with the option of 'grayscale copy of layer.'

If it is a black on white image, then select the layer mask and go [Colors->Invert]

If it a multi-color silhouette then it requires a few more steps, but they are all easy.

Really, it would help if an image was posted.
edit...

And with a layer mask, if black and white, you can use curves or levels on the mask to fine tune the edges.

or you can blur it, or go [fitler->generic->dialate or erode] or [filter->noise rgb/spread/or whatever] . . .use your imagination.

Blighty's advice is good and solid, but using the COLOR TO ALPHA is usually a last resort option for me.

The point is this is all non-destructive. If you don't like it, delete the mask and start over. Color to Alpha destroys information.