Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Similarly named fonts not recognized
Hi Folks!
I just purchased and loaded a new set of cool fonts into GIMP the other day. Unfortunately, four of the fonts have similar names:
HWTAetnaStreamerShadow
HWTAetnaStreamerFill
HWTAetnaStreamerBanner
HWTAetnaStreamerOutline

GIMP is only recognizing "HWTAetnaStreamer" and not the rest of the name. While all the fonts are in the program, only one style shows up. Any way to fix this? I've not had any luck being able to rename the files and have contacted the developer with no luck.
I've attached a screen shot to show what it looks like. I'd love to figure out how to access the fonts I paid for.
Thanks in advance for any help you might offer.
Screenshot
welcome to gimp-forum.net

A couple of questions that might help with suggestions

That looks like a development Gimp 2.9.x - Is that correct and which version?

A bit of a search and those fonts are 'open type' that is fontname.otf is that correct?

Where are the fonts installed - Gimp profile or Windows system?

Do you know if the fonts are a graphical type - think dingbat type 

When it comes to changing the name of a font, it is not that easy, the name is embedded in the file.

Have to pack in for the night, battery on this netbook running low Wink
(09-16-2017, 07:36 PM)rich2005 Wrote: welcome to gimp-forum.net

A couple of questions that might help with suggestions

That looks like a development Gimp 2.9.x - Is that correct and which version?

A bit of a search and those fonts are 'open type' that is fontname.otf is that correct?

Where are the fonts installed - Gimp profile or Windows system?

Do you know if the fonts are a graphical type - think dingbat type 

When it comes to changing the name of a font, it is not that easy, the name is embedded in the file.

Have to pack in for the night, battery on this netbook running low Wink
Hi Rich!
Thanks for getting back to me. That is 2.9 that I have running. I updated with the hopes that might fix the issue.
They are indeed open type fonts and I have them installed in both the default Windows font folder as well as the GIMP font folder. I did try to rename the fonts with FontForge but no luck.
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
(09-16-2017, 07:46 PM)poymando Wrote: Hi Rich!
Thanks for getting back to me. That is 2.9 that I have running. I updated with the hopes that might fix the issue.
They are indeed open type fonts and I have them installed in both the default Windows font folder as well as the GIMP font folder. I did try to rename the fonts with FontForge but no luck.
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Without the problem font(s), not easy to give any advice, either good or bad.

Installing Gimp 2.9 as a hopeful fix, implies that the problem existed using Gimp 2.8.x

Gimp 2.9 will copy settings from the Gimp 2.8 profile if it exists, so problems might have been transferred.

If feeling brave, you could delete the contents of the font-cache C:\Users\your-name\Appdata\Local\fontconfig\cache
These files https://i.imgur.com/MMZPTE2.jpg take a few precautions, back the cache folder up. If not confident about deleting, do not do it.

Not much point have the same font installed system wide and also in Gimp profile, Does the font work in other applications?

One thing to try, convert the otf to ttf with one of the on-line converters say, https://onlinefontconverter.com/

I do not think renaming the font will have much effect, but since you have FontForge, a rename and generate a ttf file, quick demo

https://youtu.be/LICasTPxbd8 only 2 and a bit minutes.
Hi Rich,
Thanks again for the suggestions. I contacted the font developer and he might be able to help. I'll update when I know more.
While the font does not work in GIMP, it does work in WORD

Quote:....snip....Without the problem font(s), not easy to give any advice, either good or bad.....snip...