Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simple Image Crop . . .
Hello GIMP Folk -

I've used GIMP for simple photo work for several years, but I've just encountered a PROBLEM.

When I have opened a photo in the past, a little dialogue says something like: "Drag your cursor to crop image."

This has disappeared, and in its place there is now a tool makes the image to be worked on LARGER... and LARGER - and no selection occurs!

Thinking perhaps my trusty GIMP had developed a glitch, after switching off & on my machine to clear the problem, I deleted GIMP and installed the latest 2.10 version.

But - Same problem. I cannot use my cursor to make a simple selection / crop of the image.

What has happened?

Any help will be wholeheartedly appreciated!

MAC OSX 10.14.6 Mojave

- Mehermuchacho
Check out Edit > Preferences > Tool Options. Here you can tick or untick 'save tool options on exit' or even reset tool options. These preferences can be stored locally so re-installing doesn't help.

PS. Some Macs have strange mice with one large button.
There is a Zoom tool that looks like your description but for what you want to there is a Crop tool, so it is mostly a matter of picking the right tool in the tool palette.

Quote:I've used GIMP for simple photo work

Depending on your definition of "simple" there are tools simpler than Gimp...
Hello Again -

With the help of my tech savvy Sweetheart and your replies, I found that I could CLICK the CROP TOOL once the image/photo was opened, and the previous, SIMPLE, Crop Function returned.

For some reason, possibly a random clicking BY ME of the ZOOM Tool as I exited GIMP sometime in the last two days, GIMP must have SAVED that preference, I realize, with your FORUM help.

Thank You TAS_mania and Ofnuts for your Replies. They Really Helped!!

- Mehermuchacho

P.S. I'd like to add the word [SOLVED] to this thread, but I can't see how to do it with this Forum / Bulletin Board software.

Please, Seasoned GIMP 'ers, feel free to add [SOLVED] to the title for this thread, okay?

Thank You!!

- Mehermuchacho
See https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Managi...-positions for good ways to manage your tool options.