Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slow to load
What can I do get GIMP to load faster? It loads very slowly, mostly with the finding fonts window.
Normally this happens only once, when Gimp builds a cache of the fonts. Once this is done the cache is not re-built each time Gimp loads (unless something erases it in between), so subsequent loads should be significantly faster. The index is the directory "C:\Users\{your_id}\AppData\Local\fontconfig\cache" that contains three files. Do you see it created when you start Gimp? Is it still there when you start Gimp again?
Are you on Windows? It is probably a Windows font cache problem.

If you google, you will find solutions on how to delete the Windows font cache. Windows then re-creates the font cache and the problem is gone. Along the lines of run services.msc, stop the font service, delete the font cache, etc, etc.

But often these solutions don't work. Not easy to fix.
How old is the computer that you are running Gimp?  My slightly newer desktop does fine, but I know trying to load Gimp on my 5 year old computer makes it chug.  I think I recall seeing a workaround via google by deleting the fonts, but I am not fully sure about that fact.
I'm on a 2017 iMac, MacOS High Sierra 10.13.3. I'd like to put this information in a signature, but I saw no forum option for that. I must have missed it--where is it? Thanks.
(02-02-2018, 06:47 PM)gogreen Wrote: I'm on a 2017 iMac, MacOS High Sierra 10.13.3. I'd like to put this information in a signature, but I saw no forum option for that. I must have missed it--where is it? Thanks.

Under the "Welcome back, ..." part in the top right of website, click the user cp and click change signature under the your profile tab.

Yea your iMac should be more than capable of running gimp.  Have you tried reinstalling it?
(02-02-2018, 07:22 PM)Clydaler Wrote:
(02-02-2018, 06:47 PM)gogreen Wrote: I'm on a 2017 iMac, MacOS High Sierra 10.13.3. I'd like to put this information in a signature, but I saw no forum option for that. I must have missed it--where is it? Thanks.

Under the "Welcome back, ..." part in the top right of website, click the user cp and click change signature under the your profile tab.

Yea your iMac should be more than capable of running gimp.  Have you tried reinstalling it?

No signature until you have reached 5 posts Smile

Your favorite OS is in your profile (it's a regisration question). Sorry for mistakenly thinking you were on Windows Smile

How many fonts have you got on your system?
Ofnuts: I have plenty of fonts--whatever is standard in a Mac OS High Sierra installation.
(02-03-2018, 03:07 PM)gogreen Wrote: Ofnuts: I have plenty of fonts--whatever is standard in a Mac OS High Sierra installation.

This isn't plenty. I've seen a stupid used load 10K fonts (how can you know what all these look like), and then complain about memory usage when using the Text tool Smile

So we have to wonder why it rebuilds the font cache each time. Unfortunately I don't use OSX. On Linux the same file seems to be in ~/.cache/fontconfig. Have you got something like this in OSX?
(02-03-2018, 05:54 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(02-03-2018, 03:07 PM)gogreen Wrote: Ofnuts: I have plenty of fonts--whatever is standard in a Mac OS High Sierra installation.

This isn't plenty. I've seen a stupid user load 10K fonts (how can you know what all these look like), and then complain about memory usage when using the Text tool Smile

So we have to wonder why it rebuilds the font cache each time. Unfortunately I don't use OSX. On Linux the same file seems to be in ~/.cache/fontconfig. Have you got something like this in OSX?

So when I just now started GIMP, it loaded pretty fast. I don't know what happened yesterday, but it's working fine today.