Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So i dont recall things like this so then Adding some vector graphical functionality
Hi! This is my first post here. I would like to add some vectorgraphical functionalities to gimp (according to my memory its not quite present)
So that i would be able to draw straight lines and then add all these vector lines to the selection (or remove some as an optional things or add others again which were removed or so forth)
So that i could have a subdivide sort of functionality to make a curved line out of these straight linesegments joined. (if the straight line segments weren't joined there should have also a checkbox i would like to add which joins the lines and another wich forms a complete loop.. also working well with concave shapes.

I would like the vectorgraphic lines to blend with the background in forming the line (so that some pixels are more dim but this dimness colour is according to the solid background colour on top of which it was drawn. then have layers like this.

That is all!

is it possible? if so through what? perhaps exclusively through C++ plugins.
"So that i would be able to draw straight lines and then add all these vector lines to the selection (or remove some as an optional things or add others again which were removed or so forth)"

This is what the "Path tool" does.

"So that i could have a subdivide sort of functionality to make a curved line out of these straight linesegments joined."

There are several "smooth path" plugins.

"I would like the vectorgraphic lines to blend with the background in forming the line (so that some pixels are more dim but this dimness colour is according to the solid background colour on top of which it was drawn. then have layers like this."

Once you have a path you can make a selection out if and if you fill the selection you get anti-aliased borders

So then it is possible afterall, there are already plugins for smoothpath. Although you dont stress wether it is functioning as i intend. For example bezier curves with those handles are just cumbersome for my imagination, rather i would draw just straight line shape and have it subdivided to smooth curves.
You need to try the plugins to see if they satisfy your needs.

Some python plugins here: http://kmarkku.arkku.net/Path_modify_fil...aster.html

and a old compiled (for Windows) plugin https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Smooth...1#pid11671
(11-26-2022, 03:48 PM)mzoltan32 Wrote: So then it is possible afterall, there are already plugins for smoothpath. Although you dont stress wether it is functioning as i intend. For example bezier curves with those handles are just cumbersome for my imagination, rather i would draw just straight line shape and have it subdivided to smooth curves.

Then draw curves by hand with a stylus. There is even a Smooth stroke option in the Paint tools to smooth the lines for you.

(11-26-2022, 09:30 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(11-26-2022, 03:48 PM)mzoltan32 Wrote: So then it is possible afterall, there are already plugins for smoothpath. Although you dont stress wether it is functioning as i intend. For example bezier curves with those handles are just cumbersome for my imagination, rather i would draw just straight line shape and have it subdivided to smooth curves.

Then draw curves by hand with a stylus. There is even a Smooth stroke option in the Paint tools to smooth the lines for you.

Ok so then i can do that as well it seems. foolish me. Anyway i would like to know which one was that smoothpath plugin you have shown on your above previous post.
I used the second on in Rich's post, I think.
(11-30-2022, 02:41 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: I used the second on in Rich's post, I think.

Right, so i tryed to follow everything which were on the links.

But it figures that GIMP as downloaded from the main website download page will install as some flatpak and run in a container, so hence it cannot access the actual home directory.

Only i cannot seem to find where actually is this container folder located so that i could install plugins there (simply the mentioned link doesn't contain the same folders openable from the gimp application it only contains one folder plugins which folder was actually created by me)

EDIT:
Right, so i have downloaded the windows version as well and ran it in winebrowser.
I have downloaded all the various listed python extentions and i see those appear indeed
under tools all of it i selected one of it named "round corners" or something but the gimp program froze.
i dont know how python of the gimp would be handled but it seems like the installation contains python.exe.

anyway This supposed to work something spectacular such as way rounding off or the corners or how?
I could have selected others as well. 

Anyway I STILL dont know where is the listed under preferences so called "app" folder of the linux installation. If someone knows it Should share (because right now it would be slow to look through all the miriads of directories in the flatpak folder)
If a flatpak is install-able, then you are using a linux distribution.
Which one and which version of Gimp. It will help. It does tell you using Gimp menu Help -> About.

A flatpak Gimp user profile is well buried.
It does give the location if you look in Edit -> Preferences -> Folders (expand the list) Look in Plug-ins for the paths. Typically ~/.var/app/org.gimp.GIMP/config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins

The advantage of the flatpak is it has python support and the Ottia Tuota plugins work. Obviously that Windows plugin does not work but there is a compiled linux version.

Personally, I avoid it, it is sandboxed and utilities such as Xsane and Gutenprint plugins do not work. It will 'see' your home folder but blocks networked drives (well it did for me)
(11-30-2022, 06:30 PM)rich2005 Wrote: If a flatpak is install-able, then you are using a linux distribution.
Which one and which version of Gimp. It will help. It does tell you using Gimp menu Help -> About.

A flatpak Gimp user profile is well buried.
It does give the location if you look in Edit -> Preferences -> Folders (expand the list) Look in Plug-ins for the paths. Typically ~/.var/app/org.gimp.GIMP/config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins

The advantage of the flatpak is it has python support and the Ottia Tuota plugins work. Obviously that Windows plugin does not work but there is a compiled linux version.

Personally, I avoid it, it is sandboxed and utilities such as Xsane and Gutenprint plugins do not work. It will 'see' your home folder but blocks networked drives (well it did for me)
i EDIT-ed my above post, i still need that "app" folder listed in preference folders, i figure it must be where the something is found but there are bunch of folders.

EDIT: I am using 2.10 from this website.