Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soft Proofing not working on Latest Gimp
Question 
I have tried to use a .icm  ICC soft-proofing file from One Vision to use their printers for my photos.
However it does not work (no change to the displayed image) when I set up using the Preferences dialogue
or the dialog in the View-Colour Management menu (Proof colours and Soft_Proofing profile set ok).

I know the ICC file works ok because I use it to change the the Assign Colour Profile menu to change from the built in Gimp sRGB profile. I could soft-proof like this however it is a bit clumsy.

Is this a bug or am I missing something ……. ?
No replies?   I cannot see anything wrong with your procedure. Maybe your photo is perfect Wink

Using a .icm threw me off a little, the printer I sometimes use gives .icc profiles for printer / different paper types.  A search brought this up straight away https://www.redrivercatalog.com/profiles...ndows.html  with a useful screenshot, although it is for Gimp 2.8

In my laptop and Gimp 2.10.14 I get this (found a printer .icm profile)
Colour Management

Soft Proofing

So FWIW working here, Ask on https://discuss.pixls.us/ for better advice.

edit: Just tried on a Gimp 2.10.18 and get the same result.
Thanks for your reply Rich2005. I have tried other .icc profiles for CMYK printer profiling and they work ok. The profiles I am trying to use are .icm profiles. I know they are not working because I soft profiled some B&W photos for print using an online service and they came back very dark. I did not see any change in the image when soft proof enabled so thought the photos would come out good.
The strange thing is if you change the colour management assign profile to the provided .icm file (instead of using the soft profiling menu the image darkens considerably and looks like the photos I got back in the post. So the .icm file works for the Image - assign profile but not for View - colour management - soft proof menu.
Maybe I will ask One Vision when they back to work !! and also have a look at your link.